Restriction of foreign players in IPL teams...

Yesterday, me and a friend of mine has a long and idealistic discussion about whether the restriction of the no of foreign players (currently 4) in the IPL (Indian Premier League) teams is justified or not.

While he was of the view that it gives a wider scope for Indian youngsters to play alongside other talented players from around the globe, I am of the opinion that since IPL is more about the global format of Cricket and not just a launch pad for selection of Indian national team and development of youth as it is perceived. Hence, I feel that the best possible playing 11 should be played, which is more healthy for the game and it will lead to an even more improvement in the skill level of the Indian players, since then, they will have to actually fight for their place in the team which will ultimately lead to an ever increasing talent pool... (and avoid the stagnancy created by the fact that an average player takes his position in the team for granted)

In fact, when it comes to national matches, such a player will be in a better position to compete against the foreigners, since he has actually proved his mettle against the same player in IPL and was not in the playing 11 because of some restriction...

Compare IPL with EPL (yes, soccer...) and you will know that EPL, despite being the largest contributing factor for the development of English soccer, has teams like Arsenal which, at one time played 11 French guys...

This system of restriction of foreign players to 4 simply beats me, since it doesn't let the best 11 on field and thus leads to wastage of talent literally warming the bench... For ex: Scott Styris, Hershelle Gibbs have to sit out from Deccan Chargers game, while they lose against other teams !!

On the other hand, the counter argument is that if there is no such restriction, an IPL team will play only the foreign players (if it has 11), and it wont lead to any scope for Indian youth to show their talent, but at least that will provide an opportunity for development of Indian Cricket at grass root level...

what does CE have to say about it?? πŸ˜”

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    If the league is comprised of only Indian teams then focusing on local players is fine. If the league competes globally then more focus should be on the best global players to comprise the teams. I think that should all be defined in the league's charter and structure.
  • suyash
    suyash
    gohm
    If the league competes globally then more focus should be on the best global players to comprise the teams. I think that should all be defined in the league's charter and structure.
    I think that the league's structure has already been clearly defined in IPL charter described during auctions... and it states that maximum 4 foreign players can play in the playing 11. This thread is just to debate if this restriction is justified or not...

Come on everybody, please do post your replies.. πŸ˜”
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Doesn't England want to do its own IPL thing too?
  • suyash
    suyash
    ash
    Doesn't England want to do its own IPL thing too?
    Yes, I read about that thing too... #-Link-Snipped-#

The England and Wales Cricket#-Link-Snipped-# Board (ECB) is all set to rival the Indian Premier League (IPL) and will launch a Twenty20 tournament jointly with Texan billionaire Allen Stanford by 2010.

I bet it won't have such restrictions on non english players as well, as has always been the case in the English county teams too !!
    Talk about IPL, anyone?
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    restriction of the no of foreign players (currently 4) in the IPL teams must be increased to 5 then it allows more entertainment.
  • suyash
    suyash
    friendster7
    restriction of the no of foreign players (currently 4) in the IPL teams must be increased to 5 then it allows more entertainment.
    so does that mean you are in favour of the restriction?? you only want to relax it a bit, huh??
  • suyash
    suyash
    It seems like no one has got to say anything over this issue!! πŸ˜•

I mean, this is equivalent to "reservations" for Indian players in the team, and that too almost 70% ... I'm not being anti-Indian, just pro-cricket...

do post your views...
  • gohm
    gohm
    Could part of the issue also be that there may not be a large body of foreign players available whom qualify to play in the league or relocate? US, latin & South america, Africa (excluding s. africa), Russia and a large part of Europe & Asia do not have a strong cricket program because of lack of influence from the UK. Those nations that have a strong cricket program (India, UK, Canada?, Australia, S. Africa) may already have plenty of league teams for their players of qualifing caliber resulting in few players of professional caliber not on a team? Just a thought from someone outside of cricket, could be wrong. πŸ˜€ I would think maybe they would be the same reasons there are few foreign players on NFL teams.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The IPL was launched so that there is a professional T20 league in India. It was meant to give some practice to young players. During the auction of players it was clear that the international players were much in demand and if this restriction was not there all teams would have played there star players. This reservation makes sure that 7 local players are including in the game and they get the experience of playing with and against international stars.
  • suyash
    suyash
    gohm
    Could part of the issue also be that there may not be a large body of foreign players available whom qualify to play in the league or relocate? I would think maybe they would be the same reasons there are few foreign players on NFL teams.
    I don't know about NFL in US, whether there aren't global players or not... but here in IPL the scenario is different...
    Each team has about 7-8 good (and better than the locals) players but due to the restriction only 4 foreign players can play the match. now in case the opposing team's local players are better, it becomes a one sided contest. and in such a case its really painful for me to see "talented" players on the bench.

raj87verma88
    The IPL was launched so that there is a professional T20 league in India. It was meant to give some practice to young players. This reservation makes sure that 7 local players are including in the game and they get the experience of playing with and against international stars.
    of course, you are correct too... but don't you think that this thing shouldn't come in between the game? I mean, if a team is continuously losing because of such restrictions, surely such a match practice wont help the local players as well. I am only implying that instead of giving a wild card entry to the local players in the team, make them sweat it out in the nets and prove to the coach/captain of the team that a certain "bharat chipli" can indeed replace "ramnaresh sarwan" (both are from bangalore team...) and win matches for the team. In this case, the confidence boost that the player gets, by earning the position on merit, is incomparable what he is gaining right now...
  • suyash
    suyash
    Hello everyone,

This is a direct reprint (brief excerpts) of the text that appeared in Times of India (Nagpur Edition), dated 20th April 2008 on page 19: #-Link-Snipped-#

Dravid regrets cap on foreign players

New Delhi: It seems the cap on fielding only four foreign players in the IPL playing XI has not turned out to be a workable option for captains desperate to win every game. The ruling seems to be coming in for some criticism, especially with some franchisees, who have packed their sides with foreigners, feeling hampered having to bench quality cricketers.

At least two icon players have now openly expressed reservations about the stipulation, with Rahul Dravid following Team Mohali skipper Yuvraj Singh in voicing his Γ’€˜problemsΓ’€™ trying to juggle options before every game. The Royal Challengers have notched up only a solitary win so far and captain Dravid said on Tuesday, Γ’€œSelecting only four out of nine is a problem. ItΓ’€™s not easy for any captain. You need good players around.

Days earlier, Yuvraj had expressed similar sentiments, going so far as to say he hoped the council would look into the matter.

This is exactly I was pointing out in this thread on CE, i.e. the potential of the game quality being brought down by such restrictions on the number of foreign players in the final playing team !!

Any takers ??
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    This is a game whose rules are made by BCCI. It applies to all the teams. You can chose 4 international players only. If this is not so then those teams that have bought more and better international players will win more matches. There will be no contest. To give an even platform to all the teams this rule is given. Dravid and Yuvraj are international players and have a lot of experience behind them. The comments show their leadership qualities in bad taste. The best warrior will not necessarily make a good general. This seems to be a case here. If you have 8 players and you have to chose 4 then your mind comes in to play. You have to device a strategy to defeat the opposite team. Understand their weakness and then chose the best combination to exploit it. This is what a good leadership is about. All teams are following this and it should be so.
  • suyash
    suyash
    raj87verma88
    You can chose 4 international players only. If this is not so then those teams that have bought more and better international players will win more matches. There will be no contest. To give an even platform to all the teams this rule is given.
    Interesting comment.

Why do, we, despite being Indian's think that international players will always play better than Indian players?? I mean, at least after the Indian team won the T-20 world cup, the youngsters have won the Under-19 world cup, and still we have doubts over their performance levels... come on, give them a break.. I mean, how can you say that a mismatch occurs only when a team has more number of international players? Won't the case be the same, if the local players in one of the teams are weaker than the ones in the other team?? Do see the other side of the coin, and try to get under the crux of the matter... Can anyone point out even a single sporting event which has a similar set of restriction on playing international stars, which might be a rare exception, even if there exists one...

We need to think beyond the obvious fact (that more the match practice the local players get, the better they will get) and try to understand that it takes even Iron to melt at 1600 celcius and its only after that ordeal that it develops the super strength thats known as Steel 😎 (so much for being a metallurgist ) 😎. I mean, it will be better off to let the local players really earn their spot in the playing 11, since when it comes to any sport, a team will always want to field its best possible combination (irrespective of the fact whether he is an indian player or international player ) !!

Food for thought, really... πŸ˜’
  • cool.aquarian
    cool.aquarian
    suyash
    We need to think beyond the obvious fact (that more the match practice the local players get, the better they will get) and try to understand that it takes even Iron to melt at 1600 celcius and its only after that ordeal that it develops the super strength thats known as Steel 😎 (so much for being a metallurgist ) 😎. I mean, it will be better off to let the local players really earn their spot in the playing 11, since when it comes to any sport, a team will always want to field its best possible combination (irrespective of the fact whether he is an indian player or international player ) !!

Food for thought, really... πŸ˜’
    Hi suyash,
    I think this is a very good rule to allow only 4 foreign players at a time in Playing XI.
    I admire your zeal and excitement about local players giving international players a run, but its time to come to real terms man.
    It is much easier said than done when you say that "let the local players really earn their spot in the playing 11".
    20-20 is anyways a really fast format, the time here is too short for all teams to take a chance and let the local players play themselves in and see how they perform.
    Agreed that India Won 20-20 world cup as a single country, but a collection of top class players from different countries (imagine if all playing XI are among top 2-3 players of their countries) is a much more formidable team than having all playing XI from a single country anyday.
    That is why there is this rule.

If this rule is not there, then all team will play maximum 3-4 local players.
    Out of which couple will be from our own Sehwag, Yuvraj, Zaheer etc., so max 2 people will be from under 19 team. So most of unexplored talent would be simply warming the benches in the dugout which is of no use really.
    Dont expect so much from these under19 players. They cannot outshine an international player so quickly(esp in this format).
    Giving them an opportunity to play besides the international players is more important than putting pressure on them to perform straightaway.
    Match practice and gaining experience is much more useful than unprepared Competition.

so this rule is a saving grace to let the youngsters have an opportunity to play some matches and show their capabilities.. πŸ˜€
  • suyash
    suyash
    I have always agreed to the fact that youngsters should be given a priority, but why single out the IPL alone? I mean, its not the single platform from where you can showcase your talent, though it might be the biggest one...but then this rule is causing some of the good teams in the IPL to lose out some matches, what about fair sport? Can we have something in place (maybe a suggestion for the next IPL 😎) so that we can find an intermediate solution between the current extreme ends, maybe we can bring back the SuperSub rule !!
  • cool.aquarian
    cool.aquarian
    suyash
    I have always agreed to the fact that youngsters should be given a priority, but why single out the IPL alone? I mean, its not the single platform from where you can showcase your talent, though it might be the biggest one...but then this rule is causing some of the good teams in the IPL to lose out some matches, what about fair sport? Can we have something in place (maybe a suggestion for the next IPL 😎) so that we can find an intermediate solution between the current extreme ends, maybe we can bring back the SuperSub rule !!
    It has to start from somewhere yaar, so why not start with IPL.
    As for second thing, I have only one thing to say:
    I strictly believe that a team really does not deserve to win if it cannot maintain a strong combination of the foreign and local players in the squad.
    The winning team must be such that everyone should be able to contribute whenever needed - both foreign and local players.
    And this is fully fair.
    After all this is Indian Premier League and not International Premier League.
    [😁]
  • suyash
    suyash
    cool.aquarian
    It has to start from somewhere yaar, so why not start with IPL.
    Didn't get what you are implying...

cool.aquarian
    As for second thing, I have only one thing to say:
    I strictly believe that a team really does not deserve to win if it cannot maintain a strong combination of the foreign and local players in the squad.
    Don't you think its too harsh to blame the team, the captain and the management for the composition of team?? Since none of them had any contribution in the selection process, which was basically an auction based process and where things needed to balanced (talent vs cost of players) etc etc...

One last word from me on this thread:

Restrictions on the number of foreign players is not in sync with the "spirit" of the game and it seriously jeopards the chances of winning of a team having weaker local players.

and if it was not meant to be "International premier league", maybe all the teams should have consisted of Indian players only !! Spare me the "no one would watch IPL then" thought, because on one hand, you want publicity for the league and on other hand you are supporting something which is incoherent with whats known as an ideal sporting scenario.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I've been hearing a lot about Ruby On Rails & its usage in rapid software development. The ROR official site shows how a blog engine can be created from...
hi i m doing project with c and i want to get a mouse programing help me
hi i m forget my password and i want to break my own password.i m using service pack 2.and i have no guest acount help.
Hi. I'm starting the planning on my Senior Design project, and am wondering if anyone can recommend a good microcontroller. My project is basically going to have two ultrasonic sensors...
hello everybodyl! It's a GREAT forum ever seen before πŸ˜€