Rafael Correa's (Ecuador President) Got The Guts!

Ecuador has offered Asylum to the Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and the UK (with the backing of US) is trying to pressurise the little Latin country. But Rafael Correa, the president of Ecuador seems to be a bold man!

In his weekly address to his countrymen, Mr. Correa said "I don't know who they (UK) think I am or what they think our government is. But how could they expect us to yield to their threats or cower before them? My friends, they don't know who they are dealing with". - #-Link-Snipped-#

Boy! Standing ovation for this man for his courage. I want to know how many of you have been following the developments on this story. But it's really great to see that there's at least ONE country in the world that has self-respect!

Your thoughts, please?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I am following this since some time.. and I agree that Ecuador President shown so much of courage keeping everything (His relationship with UK and USA) aside.

First standing ovation to Julian Assange and than Hats Off to president Mr. Correa !

-CB
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I haven't been following this news but saying 'that' surely needs guts! As compared to Blair, Bush, Obama, Cameron and the other Western leaders, Correa appears to be decent. Assange has exposed the West's crimes in Iraq and elsewhere, so he is bound to take all the hate.
    I googled to find that the journos have published headlines like, "How a cosy chat with the president of Ecuador turned into a diplomatic headache for Britain" and talking in negative shade. But we can't forget that Assange has done a lot more advance public awareness than these journos ever have. If Correas is helping him, then more power to him.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ultimately, it could just be a global politics than taking the side of the Truth. Correas' got a chance to be in the limelight by being the small nation taking a stance against the big and mighty ones. The game of politics is never the one we think it is.

It was when Saddam Hussain stood up against the big forces that his country was evaded under the name of finding chemical weapons. Ecuador's surely have done the math before offering Asylum to Assange. What's the general opinion about Julian Assange, here on CE?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I think the word "corruption" is slowly becoming synonymous to the word "Invincible","Immortal" however you put..! It is slowly(slowly?? 😛) climbing the tangent curve..! can we stop it before it...
This post isn't going to be much about Apple TV or iTV. Apple is known to disrupt the markets. The iPod disrupted the personal music player market, the iPhone did...
Apple is rumoured to be in the process of launching a smaller, pocket friendly version of the popular tablet brand - the iPad. The 7" seems to be Apple's answer...
inviting unix users to share difficulties they faced while using the system or any changes/improvements that were required or some project idea that can make use of capabilities of unix....
I m a second year electrical engineering student. I was informed about a training by TI University Program on MSP430 LaunchPad. Is this useful for me? This training is certified...