RACK AND PINION

I want to be clear that why we use spur gears in rack and pinion arrangement,as i had seen many such arrangement as in case of OHP (overhead projector). why don't we prefer helical teeth instead of using spur.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Helical teeth are complicated to design and manufacture when compared to spur.

helical gears are used mainly noise reduction when high power is to be transmitted.

so in the case of an overhead projector do you really require noise reduction ?
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    zaveri
    Helical teeth are complicated to design and manufacture when compared to spur.

helical gears are used mainly noise reduction when high power is to be transmitted.

so in the case of an overhead projector do you really require noise reduction ?
    I had just taken overhead projector as an example.Is there any application where these helical gears are used where power transmission is high
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    I had just taken overhead projector as an example.Is there any application where these helical gears are used where power transmission is high
    The automobile gearbox is an example for high power transmission.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, Please let me know how to design CCM and DCM flyback converters, and what is the major difference?
When the temperature of a liquid increases, its density decreases, so does its viscosity. so from this, can we say that the density and viscosity of a liquid are related...
What is Design Engineering? What are its scopes? I am doing Btech in Electronics and instrumentation, so is design engineering an apt option for masters?
Hello Crazy Engineers, There is an Workshop going to be conducted in Jerusalem College of engineering, chennai by the department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. It will be held on...
Today on the 'occasion' of "Valentine's day",Google has tacked on a very interesting doodle.Check it out. I liked the concept of merging it with the ferris wheel.BTW,I really liked the...