Question about cable properties

I am a medical technologist not an engineer.

I work in a sleep lab. The sleep recording equipment is comprised of an EEG headbox which digitizes the signals and sends them to an amplifier control box which then transforms the signals to travel over ethernet. The headbox is powered by the amplifier control box.

The manufacturer of the equipment states the cable between the headbox and the amplifier control box has a limit of 25 feet. I have a need to extend the length of the cable to 75 to 100 feet.

I took the headbox apart and the connector on both ends of the cable is a D-sub HD26. Each conductor is 26AWG. Only 16 [1-16] of the pins are being used. I placed my ohmmeter on the cable and its resistance is 1.3ohms with a length of 25 feet. I am worried about lengthening the cable. As I understand it, the resistance of this cable every 25 feet is 1.3 ohms.

So. What can you suggest? I've been studying this all day and need some good advice.

Would a 75 to 100 foot 24AWG conductor cable be sufficient to replicate the specs of the 25 foot 26AWG conductor cable or do I need to use a 75 to 100 foot 20AWG cable? I just do not want the equipment to encounter any problems by increasing the cable length.

Thanks

RPSGT88

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to make something new, interesting. Not just a simple L.F.R. or something like that. I know basics about how to use a microcontroller. How to glow a LED,...
๐ŸŽ‰ Wishing CEan Kidakaka a very very happy birthday! ๐ŸŽ‰ Have fun! And let us know how you celebrated your birthday.. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐ŸŽ‰
I read an article here: Great Ways to Get Your Questions Answered Online It talks about the different ways of getting your questions answered online. Google just searches data, it...
Airfoil for the Mac has been around for a long time, and has always been a great way to transmit audio with more flexibility than Apple's own AirTunes (now AirPlay)...
Readings is a slick and (whitish way) of reading content online. It's way better in looks and feel than Google Reader. All that one has to do is choose to...