Query ROTATION of 3 phase motor

Is there a specific direction of rotation for a 3 phase motor. Or can we allow the 3 phase motor to run in any direction.

Replies

• ashuashi
    ashuashi
    The direction of rotation of 3 phase motor depends on its use i.e. the purpose - coupled with a pump, etc.

The direction will be different if seen from driving end or the driven end. Usually it is counter-clock wise if seen from the driven end.

regards,
  • avm
    avm
    What i have asked is whether we can give connections to a three phase motor in the RYB Or RBY. (The direction of rotation for both the connection will be opposite.)
  • ashuashi
    ashuashi
    The connections should be RYB if they are coming from mains as RYB. Because some times RYB come as RBY. So just check the direction once with RYB. If the rotation is as per requirement no issues. If not just change two phases & you are done.

Hope its fine now.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    @avm: well try it,watever ashish said is right but i wonder were the force will be thrusted if you rotate it in reverse direction,i will appreciate if you can share your results with us
  • laxman7m
    laxman7m
    please suggest a good book for electric machines
  • Pluto
    Pluto
    avm
    Is there a specific direction of rotation for a 3 phase motor. Or can we allow the 3 phase motor to run in any direction.
    In the U.K 3-phase rotors for the purpose of generation should be initiated to run clockwise (I.E.E 14th ed. onwards). As previously suggested, 2-phases can be altered post-commissioning however best practice (or rather international standardization) should be maintained on new installations.
    Hope this helps
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ashuashi
    ashuashi
    avm
    What i have asked is whether we can give connections to a three phase motor in the RYB Or RBY. (The direction of rotation for both the connection will be opposite.)
    Did your problem solve?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Suppose we connect BYR to the terminals instead of RYB, wont the motor rotate in the reverse direction compared to when it will be connected as RYB?
    Its just my curiosity. Please let me know what will happen if something like this is done. Thanks in advance.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    if you connect motor with RYB then the motor will start to run in clockwise direction.........................and if you reverse this connection Like RBY or YRB or of any kind........it will start to run in reverse direction........

hey who gave u degree yaar?????................dnt u know such ans to this question??????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    d_vipul
    hey who gave u degree yaar?????................dnt u know such ans to this question??????
    How about not using unnecessary Hindi words in an International forum?
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    okkkkkkkk................i will not use hindi words on this forum..................Sorry bro.............me new here.............sorry for that................is this ok?????...............or shoul I ban myself for this as a punishment.......
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    d_vipul
    okkkkkkkk................i will not use hindi words on this forum..................Sorry bro.............me new here.............sorry for that................is this ok?????...............or shoul I ban myself for this as a punishment.......
    You can't ban yourself, our mods will do it if you continue to break forum rules -

1. Forum language is strictly English.
    2. Use proper text formatting.
    3. Not use SMS text.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Its true that the questions here may appear silly. But it never means that the one who asks them is not fit to have a degree. The question may be asked not to know the basics, but the explanation of the basics. Not any degree holder knows everything in his discipline. Kindly do not hurt anyone.
    Thank you
    P.S.-Kindly learn to respect the authorities

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When a 3 phase system is balanced, what will be the current in the neutral wire ?
Please help me somebody how to put integer into file. In variable 'mnozenje' I have the right numbers but in the file 'Weights.txt' I have this ĂĂĂȂāāĀ.With printf("%d",mnozenje); in the...
Those who want to be the first users of Windows7 by Microsoft, keep an eye on the following page - Welcome to Windows 7 You'll be able to download Windows...
The European Union has set up an anti-piracy naval operation to protect commercial vessels passing through the Gulf of Aden. Other countries, such as India, Iran, the United States and...
hi mates, can anyone tell me, where can i get the ebook for visual basic 6 devolper.