CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@csiscool • 21 Feb, 2010
Next door to me live four brothers of different heights. Their average height is 74 inches, and the difference-in height amongst the first three men is two inches. The difference between the third and fourth is six inches. Can you tell how tall is each brother?

PS: Post detailed solution
@sookie • 21 Feb, 2010 • 1 like Given :
C1(Condition 1): difference-in height amongst the first three men is two inches
C2(Condition 2): difference between the third and fourth is six inches
Average height= 74

Solution:
Let first man's height= x
Second man's height= x+2 (as per C1)
Third man's height= (x+2)+2= x+4 (as per C1)
Fourth man's height= (x+4)+ 6 = x+10(as per C2)

Average = (First man's height+ Second man's height+ Third man's height+ Fourth man's height)/Total no of men

Average = (x+(x+2)+(x+4)+(x+10))/4 = 74
Solving it we get x=70
so now
First man's height= 70
Second man's height= x+2 = 70+2=72
Third man's height= x+4 = 70+4= 74
Fourth man's height= x+10 = 70+10=80

Was this so simple or still any other thing for puzzling us is there 😔 ..Please tell
@sherya mathur • 22 Feb, 2010 lets the height of third person is=x
therefore the height of the forth person will be=x-6
from the first condition
the second person will be=x+2
the first person will be=x+4
given average height=74
hence total height will be =74 x4=296
which will be equal to
(x+4)+(x+2)+(x)+(x-6)=296
4x=296
x=74
therefore answers are
first=78
second=76
third=74
fourth=68
10.3k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 27, 2011

With the number of engineering colleges mushrooming in every part of India...and each one of them trying to host their own tech-fest, it's become more harder than ever to come...
114.5k views

@vvishwaskumar · Nov 19, 2009

hi i have a bicycle having a load of 100 kg acting on it. I have to calculate the starting torque, to propell the bicycle, either on the wheel or...
17.5k views

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 16, 2014

As was expected, India Kawasaki Motors (IKM) has launched its two new naked street bikes named Kawasaki Z250 and Kawasaki ER-6N in the country. The much-awaited bikes are among the...
4.9k views

@Abhishek Rawal · Apr 13, 2014

I am looking for list of reputed colleges in India that provides Embedded Systems Course in M.Tech on basis of GATE Score. I recently checked Nirma University & it's ES...
16k views

@zaveri · May 12, 2013

What is the difference between static and stagnation properties involved in any thermodynamic cycle ? for example , what is meant by static pressure and stagnation pressure ?
8.7k views