Problems in retrieving value stored in PIC

Hello, My current project involves storing of around 30 values in the PIC..
I want to retrieve these values through serial port when an application in my computer asks for it!
Do I need to use UART?? or the application can have the capability of retrieving the data stored at particular location in PIC??

I'm using PIC18F4520 , MikroC IDE.. The application is not yet developed. Need assistance!

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vishal0203
    Hello, My current project involves storing of around 30 values in the PIC..
    I want to retrieve these values through serial port when an application in my computer asks for it!
    Do I need to use UART?? or the application can have the capability of retrieving the data stored at particular location in PIC??

I'm using PIC18F4520 , MikroC IDE.. The application is not yet developed. Need assistance!
    In which memory you want those data to be stored? Internal flash or RAM?
    Which microcontroller you are using? You can easily send data to UART, make sure you connect RS232 converter IC between Microcontroller and PC.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Harshad Italiya
    In which memory you want those data to be stored? Internal flash or RAM?
    Which microcontroller you are using? You can easily send data to UART, make sure you connect RS232 converter IC between Microcontroller and PC.
    Storing the values in EEPROM of MCU (i've mentioned MCU in my previous post PIC18F4520) I think activating UART after 30 days may be a problem, isn't it??
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vishal0203
    Storing the values in EEPROM of MCU (i've mentioned MCU in my previous post PIC18F4520) I think activating UART after 30 days may be a problem, isn't it??
    What do you mean by activating UART after 30 days?
    You can find routines for EEPROM read and write. Also some example code of UART can help you.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Check out #-Link-Snipped-#from microchip For EEPROM use and #-Link-Snipped-# for UART.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Harshad Italiya
    What do you mean by activating UART after 30 days?
    You can find routines for EEPROM read and write. Also some example code of UART can help you.

Sorry, I think activating is the wrong word.
    I mean to say, if UART is used to send the values, will my application be able to gather that info? if yes, is it possible to do that using java or c#?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vishal0203
    Sorry, I think activating is the wrong word.
    I mean to say, if UART is used to send the values, will my application be able to gather that info? if yes, is it possible to do that using java or c#?
    Of course.. You can access COM port in your application. When you want to read some data you have to send some command say "*GET~" So this command will received at your microcontroller you have to decode it if command you received at UART port is OK then you have to send data back to UART which will received at COM port and your application can read all data.

As I said you must have to be careful as you are going to connect your PC to microcontroller. You need RS232 converter IC MAX232 so it will do the logic transfer and you can make your device working. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Harshad Italiya
    Of course.. You can access COM port in your application. When you want to read some data you have to send some command say "*GET~" So this command will received at your microcontroller you have to decode it if command you received at UART port is OK then you have to send data back to UART which will received at COM port and your application can read all data.

As I said you must have to be careful as you are going to connect your PC to microcontroller. You need RS232 converter IC MAX232 so it will do the logic transfer and you can make your device working. ๐Ÿ˜€
    okay! thanks a lot ๐Ÿ˜€
    I'm just waiting for my programmer ๐Ÿ˜’ I don't have it yet!
    Thank you!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vishal0203
    okay! thanks a lot ๐Ÿ˜€
    I'm just waiting for my programmer ๐Ÿ˜’ I don't have it yet!
    Thank you!
    Great !
    I suggest to go with MPLAB X and XC8 Compiler. I am not sure Mikro C is better or not but I am using MPLAB X and XC8 it's working fine for me.
    BTW, Which programmer you have purchased?
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Harshad Italiya
    Great !
    I suggest to go with MPLAB X and XC8 Compiler. I am not sure Mikro C is better or not but I am using MPLAB X and XC8 it's working fine for me.
    BTW, Which programmer you have purchased?
    I'm not familiar with MPLAB yet (I have it in my PC though). I'm using MikroC as it is kind of understandable to me as I have knowledge regarding C n C++.
    I've not purchased it yet.. I think I'll go with JDM programmer, it suits my budget ๐Ÿ‘€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vishal0203
    I'm not familiar with MPLAB yet (I have it in my PC though). I'm using MikroC as it is kind of understandable to me as I have knowledge regarding C n C++.
    I've not purchased it yet.. I think I'll go with JDM programmer, it suits my budget ๐Ÿ‘€
    Ah ! Ok. All the best for your code. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

we are working in codeblocks.we have created a console input output application.we have connected mysql as the database.now we want that whatever we query the result of the query should...
Probably the most significant news so far from Microsoft this year is this - an update to the operating system they built keeping in mind the mobility-driven significant change in...
Engineers at NHK are developing an 8K Ultra HD television and the broadcasts are expected to begin in Japan in 2016. The camera head required is being jointly developed with...
Flipkart seems to be doing a ton of things to bring in revenues. The company recently shut down Flyte digital music store. In addition, now the company is said to...
The immensely successful, Steve-Jobs inspired Apple product 'the iPhone' is making it big in India. Thanks to the EMI as well as cash back schemes offered, Apple India's monthly iPhone...