power inverter help

Well we will see how this works, I have a very limited electrical understanding. But anyway I bought a 400w DC to AC converter at a garage sale for $5 that is designed for vehicles. Simply said it does not work😔. It came with a cigarette plug in. I used it in my car, it made a horrible sound for a couple seconds with a red "fault" light lit up before blowing one of the car's fuses. From looking at the trouble shooting guide the sound is the "low battery alarm". It means either bad wiring or low battery. My battery is fine though. I did notice the fuse in my car is 15amp, while the fuses in the inverter say 30amp, Is it possible it is drawing too much from the outlet? Also nothing is plugged into the inverter, but it still blows the fuse. It says it can be connected directly to the battery, but I'm kinda afraid to do that....

Any help?

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    The inverter AC output may have shorted/heavily loading inside the inverter itself. That could be one reason why the fault light is glowing and excess primary current is drawn. Check the resistance at the output terminals without the inverter connected to anything.

-Karthik
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Check how much power the inverter is drawing from supply.
    Check the O/P values.
    Check the resistance then according place the fuse .
    There should be some short circuit inside such that it is blowing the fuse.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum - I happened to stumble upon it and it seemed like I may be able to get some answers I've...
Hello, I happened across this forum while googling something, and thought it might be helpful. I am a high school student with interests in computer and electrical engineering. I am...
Hello, I am Meenakshi Sundaram a student of Computational Science with a background in Mechanical Engineering. Its been a long time since I joined but decided to post just recently....
hi, how do you calculate torque in a rectangular section due to rotation.do we follow the same method as we use for circulaer cross section. that is torque=force * perpendicular...
i have to rotate 15000 kgs using a dc electric motor.the power required is 2.5 hp. since the rotation is slow can i choose the rpm to be around 20....