Power Failure In North India - What's Gone Wrong?

Times Of India has reported that ~7 states in North India have been affected by a major power outage. The affected states include Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, UP, Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan.

Can someone here explain what exactly has gone wrong with the power grid? From what I read, Power System Operating Co (PSOC) are currently investigating the issue.

Replies

• Mitali Shukla
    Mitali Shukla
    Here's some news about power cut in north india,I read from zeenews.com...

After taking stock of the situation, Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said the normal load on the grid has to be maintained between 48.5 to 50.2 Hertz, however, yesterday night the load increased to 50.46 Hz, lead to grid collapse.

Shinde revealed preliminary investigations suggest that trouble occurred in the grid near Agra, which had a cascading effect on the entire grid, leading to tripping of major thermal power plants and hydroelectric stations across the region.

Refusing to single out what led to grid failure, the Power Minister said a three-member committee has been appointed to find the exact reason behind the failure. "The panel will submit its report in the next 15 days," he said.

Expressing full faith in the capability of Indian engineers, Shinde said that India’s grid is one of the best maintained in the world. To stress the point, he pointed out that the United States of America had needed four days to restore a grid failure in 2008 and that too with the help of Indian engineers.

The Northern Grid, one of the largest in the country, covers nine states -- Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, J&K and Chandigarh.

Meanwhile, Delhi Power Minister Harun Yusuf blamed UP, Haryana and Punjab for over drawing power from the grid and causing it to trip.

"The grid collapsed due to overdrawal of power by Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab," Yusuf said.

Power System Operation Corporation Ltd (POSOCO), part of state-run Power Grid, manages the transmission grids in the country.

Country's largest power producer NTPC's six plants, having a total capacity of over 8,000 MW, were hit by the collapse.

India has five electricity grids -- Northern, Eastern, North Eastern, Southern and Western. All of them are inter- connected, except the Southern grid.

All the grids are being run by the state-owned Power Grid Corporation, which operates more than 95,000 circuit km of transmission lines.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is not a technical problem but a political problem like everything else in India.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to built a strategy game.. how should i start in PHP... does PHP good for Web game.
i am a final year engg. student i thought of using piezoelectric devices for my projects can anyone give me a new idea on it
Microsoft, has earlier said that the release date of their new operation system Windows 8 would be on October 26, this year. Now, they also plan to launch their new...
Undergrads of Johns Hopkins biomedical engineering have developed a device, which can detect anaemia using available computer power of the cell phone. Not requiring any expertise to use, this can...
hi all, i am a student in m.tech computer science. i need to publish a paper in computers science topic. please help us to tell me how to start. how...