CrazyEngineers
  • CEans,

I got following question from one of the senior executive of power generation company. I'm pasting the text from email :-

It is observed that solid state electronic relay provided in protection of generator FSSS (Furnace Supervisory Safeguard System) of boiler and turbine fail in thermal power station, in spite of maintaining desired temperature of 23[sup]o[/sup]C, proper fitting, cleanliness and voltage regulation.

What could be the possible reasons for failure of these relays?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • shadeslayer

MemberDec 29, 2008

electromegnetic distortion
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorDec 29, 2008

@ Shareslayer, could you describe your answer in brief.
    Cancel
  • shadeslayer

MemberDec 30, 2008

there exists a electromegnetic waves in this system which interfers with relay system ,,to prtect relay from thet a electromagnetic shielding is required and if propershielding is not ther then realy goes off after continuous interatioc with field coz relays also work on eletromagnetic principle which affects coils..
    Cancel
  • bill190

MemberDec 30, 2008

Might want to replace it with an old fashioned mechanical relay!

Causes of failure...

-over voltage
    -over current
    -over temperature

From...
    <a href="https://www.power-io.com/library/appnotes/solid-state-relay-extended-life.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Solid state contactor or SSR heat sink.</a>
    Cancel
  • sauravgoswami

MemberDec 30, 2008

Well there are many types of relays with many configuration tell him to check with rerlay manufacturers about his problem,secondly,relays require periodic manitenance is he using proper instruments to maintain them,i deal with these power company poeple they are very lenient in their approach!!!hope he is one of those active ones
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register