Possible reasons for failure of solid state electronic relay

CEans,

I got following question from one of the senior executive of power generation company. I'm pasting the text from email :-

It is observed that solid state electronic relay provided in protection of generator FSSS (Furnace Supervisory Safeguard System) of boiler and turbine fail in thermal power station, in spite of maintaining desired temperature of 23[sup]o[/sup]C, proper fitting, cleanliness and voltage regulation.

What could be the possible reasons for failure of these relays?

Replies

• shadeslayer
    shadeslayer
    electromegnetic distortion
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Shareslayer, could you describe your answer in brief.
  • shadeslayer
    shadeslayer
    there exists a electromegnetic waves in this system which interfers with relay system ,,to prtect relay from thet a electromagnetic shielding is required and if propershielding is not ther then realy goes off after continuous interatioc with field coz relays also work on eletromagnetic principle which affects coils..
  • bill190
    bill190
    Might want to replace it with an old fashioned mechanical relay!

Causes of failure...

-over voltage
    -over current
    -over temperature

From...
    Solid state contactor or SSR heat sink.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well there are many types of relays with many configuration tell him to check with rerlay manufacturers about his problem,secondly,relays require periodic manitenance is he using proper instruments to maintain them,i deal with these power company poeple they are very lenient in their approach!!!hope he is one of those active ones

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Is there any equipment/machine which gives instantaneous, proximate or ultimate analysis of coal. Any ideas about the cost of such equipment?
I'm surprised no one started this topic on CE 馃榾 ! Right now, I'm on Windows Vista (32) [Business Edition] and running Firefox 3 (latest) and Google Chrome (latest). I've...
i want to do a water engine as a project i hav no idea how to create it...can someone give me a valuable thread or informayion
Protection By Structural Design Terrorism is one of the most challenging battle faced by the International Countries.Buildings are being the main target of terrorists.so taking precautions has become necessary. 路...
Hi guys馃榾, I am Krithika(kirthi) doing my Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering in Government College of Technology Coimbatore. My hobbies include sports especially playing tennis and surfing the internet. I finished...