Port Address Vs. Physical Address Vs. Logical Address

Port Address Vs. Physical Address Vs. Logical Address

Sure.

In computer networking, various types of addresses are used to facilitate communication between devices.

These addresses serve different purposes and are utilized at different layers of the OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) model.

The OSI model is a conceptual framework that standardizes the functions of a network into distinct layers.

In this context, three important types of addresses are port addresses, physical addresses (MAC addresses), and logical addresses (such as IP addresses).

Understanding the differences between these address types and their respective layers of usage is crucial for comprehending how devices communicate within a network.

Address Types

Let's explore these address types and their corresponding layers in more detail:

Let's start by explaining the differences between port address, physical address, and logical address:

1. Port Address:

• A port address refers to a specific communication endpoint in a computer network.

• It is used in conjunction with an IP address to establish connections between devices.

• Ports are numbered and assigned to specific services or processes running on a device.

• They facilitate the routing of network traffic to the appropriate application or service.

• Examples of well-known port numbers include port 80 for HTTP (web traffic) and port 443 for HTTPS (secure web traffic).

2. Physical Address:

• A physical address, also known as a MAC address (Media Access Control address), is a unique identifier assigned to a network interface card (NIC) at the hardware level.

• It is a six-byte (48-bit) hexadecimal address and is typically represented in the format of six pairs of alphanumeric characters separated by colons or hyphens.

• The physical address is assigned by the manufacturer and is hardcoded into the network interface card.

• It is used for identifying a device at the data link layer of the network protocol stack.

• Every network-enabled device has a unique physical address.

3. Logical Address:

• A logical address refers to an address assigned to a network device at the logical or software level.

• It is used to identify a device within a network and establish communication between devices.

• Logical addresses are typically based on network protocols and can vary depending on the protocol being used.

• Examples of logical addresses include IP addresses (Internet Protocol addresses) and IPv6 addresses.

• Logical addresses are hierarchical and allow devices to be grouped into networks and subnets for efficient routing.

ASCII Chart: Port Address Vs Physical Address

+-------------------------------------------------------+
|                     Address Types                     |
+-------------------------+-----------------------------+
|       Port Address      |    Physical Address         |
| Communication endpoint | Unique identifier          |
| Used in network         | Assigned at hardware level  |
| routing                 | (MAC address)               |
| Numbered and assigned   | Six-byte hexadecimal        |
| to specific services    | representation               |
| or processes            |                             |
|                     Logical Address                   |
+-------------------------------------------------------+
| Assigned at the logical | Examples: IP addresses      |
| or software level       | (IPv4 and IPv6 addresses)   |
| Used to identify        | Hierarchical addressing     |
| devices within a        | for efficient routing       |
| network                 |                             |

I hope this helps clarify the differences between port address, physical address, and logical address! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    Logical Address is IP address which is not fixed and it regularly changes and it depends upon the Network layer.

physical address is Called as MAC address which is fixed for every system and it depends upon the network layer.

Port address is used for each process from client to server and it depends on the transport layer.
  • themask
    themask
    Excellent answer sushant005.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    sushant005
    Logical Address is IP address which is not fixed and it regularly changes and it depends upon the Network layer.

physical address is Called as MAC address which is fixed for every system and it depends upon the network layer.

Port address is used for each process from client to server and it depends on the transport layer.
    No sus MAC address is used in data link layer.which works locally.Means in node to node connection.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Checking out my options here and wondering if anyone has any clue of the existence of miniature brushless motor DC-powered air compressor? That entails that the compressor be very small,...
Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Tim O'Reilly (O'Reilly Media, Inc.), John Battelle (Federated Media Publishing), "A Conversation with Mark Zuckerberg" Watch the Video: [video=youtube;CRUOl03nZIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUOl03nZIc[/video]
If you thought your status messages on the social networking site, Facebook, can only be updated by you or somebody who has actually hacked into your account, you need to...
Guys I want this section to be alive again.I have seen that this section is almost dead. Please give some time to this section too. How about making a small...
Hi, to all friends.. Actually i want to gain my skills in communication.Please tell me how can i become fluent in english and increase my vocab..