Plastic to aluminum tolerance fit..

Hello, so I have a very simple question for those who have experience making plastic on metal fits:

I have an frame with aluminum square tube rails (1.5”x1.5”) joined by plastic corners. The frame is not expected to be exposed to high heat but will be stressed and relieved continually.

What is your best estimation for the tolerance between the (machined) plastic corner inserts and the (extruded) aluminum tubing for a good fit (somewhere between a perfect fit and a very light hammer tap?

Thank you!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Plastic is a general term. Which is the plastic used? What is the design of the component? A polymer like UHMWHDPE can have a very long fatigue life. However, its mechanical properties are poorer than other engineering polymers. What is the stress seen by the joint?
    Unless more details are available it will be difficult for members to suggest solutions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Robotics is the exciting intersection of a number of engineering fields including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. This project was designed as the basis for a two-day...
Hi, I really want some good suggestion as I am seeing lots of freshers passout every year and most of them not getting jobs it is due the engineering system...
Madrid vs Bayern - event at FaceKobo Madrid welcomes Bayern Munich to the Spanish capital on Tuesday for their Champions League semifinal second leg, as the Germans enter the game...
Hey guys!! Check studypal.co, Many of my friends in NY have found good study partners from it.
Is Apple finally getting into the VR and AR hardware game? The house that Jobs and Wozniak built has been one of the few major tech companies conspicuously absent from...