Photocopies vs Real books

Yesterday I was talking with my friend, who is also about to graduate [from different locality] & he was telling me that he has spent lots of amount in books & have to sell them back.

Engineering books are obviously costly & return prices on books also not always good. But he was shocked when I told about my expenses on books 😏 In my locality, all the photocopies [Xerox] of the books are sold. The real book usually costs 300-700 where as photocopies cost 50-200 wonly 😁 He never knew there's even such system existed !

And I found out many of my friends also were buying books & didn't knew about this system. There is a guy in my locality who sells materials of Brilliant Tutorials at 2500-3000, where actual material costs 15000 😨

What about you guys ? Do you also buy photocopies OR books & sell them back ?

I know it's illegal & clear piracy [and yeah, I am a proud Pirate of Engineering 😛].

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# This is the reason why using books for study/research is going to be extinct in near future.
    We use PDFs of all the major reference books. *for free*

One can love piracy or hate it, but one can not simply ignore it. 😨
  • avii
    avii
    PDFs even for course books ? Oh, you just beat me !
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    AbraKaDabra
    #-Link-Snipped-# This is the reason why using books for study/research is going to be extinct in near future.
    We use PDFs of all the major reference books. *for free*

One can love piracy or hate it, but one can not simply ignore it. 😨
    Doing piracy is going to be tougher day by day. A welcome change. FBI has closed down some major sites which encouraged piracy. It is time the authors got their dues.

Anyways we Indians should be thankful we have eastern economy editions of all the major publishers. A book which costs 3000 rupees(or 60 USD) in US will cost around 300rupees(5-6 USD) here. I agree that people in US earn more. But 60$ for an American would translate roughly to 10$ for an Indian(this is a guess). Still we are getting a good bargain.
  • avii
    avii
    ^but in India ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The whole point behind an online community is to talk. We log-in here daily to participate in the discussions. We should be here to initiate discussions and express thoughts on...
The mysteries of the Puma Punku ruins in South America are explored. Investigators tap into forensic evidence and computer tests to study whether aliens may have inhabited this sophisticated complex....
Edward Glassman, PhD was the President of the Creativity College®, a division of Leadership Consulting Services, Inc., and Professor Emeritus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where...
Summer season is at the doorsteps if you are living in the northern hemisphere. Many of us use refrigerators. But I have had the sad experience that the chilled water...
what would be better for me doing job in tcs or m tech from coep?