Performance Appraisals - Do we need them?

A good bunch of CEans have gone through company performance appraisals. While each one of us has our own share of good/bad experiences associated with performance appraisals, I think it would be worth knowing what each one of us feels about appraisals.

Do you think performance appraisals are a must? Share your thoughts with the rest of us!

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    They are must. But most of them are murkier:sad: than being happier. At the end it leaves you like this :evil:
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mayurpathak
    They are must. But most of them are murkier:sad: than being happier. At the end it leaves you like this :evil:
    Bah! That's my point! Most organizations follow the pyramid hierarchy. The result is that there are more unhappy people than happy people after every performance appraisal :sleeping:

So, if more people are unhappy - why not just replace the performance appraisals with something that makes more people happy.

😲
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sorry Ayan, Ignoring warnings doesn't help. Have a great life.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I have seen some of these appraisals happen and also being "planned". A lot of times, the particular department gets only a certain no. of promotions to be handed out (because the entire grading is to be fit to the bell curve of normalcy) ... due to this idiocy, a top performing department will have more no. of workers (who feel that they have received the unfair deal) feeling disgruntled than a normal dept.

I would suggest that keep appraisals on, but take out the bell curve effect.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, they are a great asset to let one know their strengths and areas of improvement. Not only should employees receive them from their managers, I think the managers should receive them from their employees as well. I do not believe they should be directly linked to pay.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    Yes, they are a great asset to let one know their strengths and areas of improvement. Not only should employees receive them from their managers, I think the managers should receive them from their employees as well. I do not believe they should be directly linked to pay.
    360 degree appraisals!

I haven't experienced the 360 degree appraisals. Are they really effective?

Btw, has anyone here read "Maverick" by Ricardo Semler? I guess they don't have appraisals at Semco!
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    I'm one of the victims of the bell curve effect. That is sheer bull shit. But again, the company is right in a way. Because the appraiser is different for different people. So in order to declare some top performers, people like me are bound to take a beating, despite performing 😀

Even I haven't heard any thing about 360 degree appraisals. Would like to know more.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well well, the world is full of appraisal victims 😁

I think we're discussing a serious issue over here. People aren't happy with appraisal system yet they think its necessary. Well, let's think something totally different.

Just few ideas -

1. Company with no appraisal system.
    2. Company with 'team appraisals' [no individual appraisals].
    3. Company with no hierarchy. How cool 😁

Anything innovative, fellas?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm not working, so fortunately I'm not a victim yet 😉

Regarding the company with no hierarchy, that should work pretty well with small companies. But in a large company, a horizontal organization will overwhelm the managers/CEO workload for sure.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Lucky guy ash! We will put you through the appraisal cycle here at CE. :wink:
  • gohm
    gohm
    If done effectively then sure reverse appraisal work good! They may not be "official" however it is always good to get feedback as a manager to help you improve your management skills.

If appraisals are not done fairly, factually and honestly then that is not the fault of the appraisal system, rather a coaching opportunity for the appraisal giver. Eroneous appraisals are a diservice to both the receiver, company & appraisal giver. Having said that, many people also have a difficult time having areas of opportunity pointed out to them (maybe in the way it was done or insecurities?) and thus vent frustration on the appraisal.
    The_Big_K
    360 degree appraisals!

I haven't experienced the 360 degree appraisals. Are they really effective?

Btw, has anyone here read "Maverick" by Ricardo Semler? I guess they don't have appraisals at Semco!
  • ngohrvinet
    ngohrvinet
    Of course, performance appraisal system is necessary for business management.

These are 11 methods of Performance appraisal as follows:
    1. Critical incident method

2. Weighted checklist

3. Paired comparison analysis

4. Graphic rating scales

5. Essay Evaluation

6. Behaviorally anchored rating scales

7. Performance ranking method

8. Management By Objectives (MBO)

9. 360 degree performance appraisal

10.Forced ranking (forced distribution)

11. Behavioral Observation Scales

You can see all details and forms of 11 methods above at link: #-Link-Snipped-#

rgs
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Well well, the world is full of appraisal victims 😁

I think we're discussing a serious issue over here. People aren't happy with appraisal system yet they think its necessary. Well, let's think something totally different.

Just few ideas -

Anything innovative, fellas?

The world is not that facinating as it looks like 😁

1. Company with no appraisal system. - Not possible, everybody needs hike in payment and designation and thats possible by the evaluation of performance. Comparative Evaluation of performance is called as appraisal. 😁

2. Company with 'team appraisals' [no individual appraisals]. - Monatary hike for a team. Dont you think its sounds a bit weired.

3. Company with no hierarchy. How cool 😁 - This looks better to me. Only Account managers and execution level. But only problems in this format is when I will face technical problem I will consult them with whom? with my senior?... How I will come to know who is my senior? After looking at the level? And Buddy level is nothing but the designations only....

So though I wish to but I do not know how to remove this appraisal thing from the system.

-CB
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The_Big_K
    Just few ideas -
    Well, I'm not yet into the corporate stream yet. But still, I feel that the above three ideas mentioned above will be suitable only for start ups and small and medium level companies.
    If a corporation grows beyond a certain point, then it's bound to introduce some form of heirarchy and it cant evade that.
    Team appraisals seem to be a good option.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The_Big_K
    Just few ideas -
    Well, I'm not yet into the corporate stream yet. But still, I feel that the three ideas mentioned above will be suitable only for start ups and small and medium level companies.
    If a corporation grows beyond a certain point, then it's bound to introduce some form of heirarchy and it cant evade that.
    Team appraisals seem to be a good option.😁
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I was a victim during my first appraisal only to be called in enxt day to say that " since we have limited bandwidth and funds, your appraisal might be lower down due to normalisation"!! normalisation is said to be a random process where 'ANY' candidate's apprisal can be hampered.

I am still unsure how they came to know well in advance that my apprisal would be 'NORMALISED'! hugh!!!

anyways, I still do think apprisal is needed, it helps for a self check as all the time we keep on thinking that what are doing is best, but unsure if its actaully what we are meant to do.

P.S hoping I have a better one this time!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Normalisation is the process of nullifying the effect of managers personal view. In normalisation they generally set all the employees in bell curve.

And up to some extent this looks fine as well, if all the employee will get the best ratings, then there will not be any importance of word best. Isn't it?

-CB
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    I'm not sure whether they're worth having or not, but mine use to coincide with an increase in pay.. so if that's the case, definitely worth having. Best part is it takes place during company hours, I get paid to talk and do nothing else.. seriously? I'm not complaining 😛
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ BR
    Appraisals are for increase in pay, but they decide your level of increase which hurts.
    It's obvious that every one expect they fall into the highest pay rise category right??
  • amirtha
    amirtha
    no .we dont need it...
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    durga
    @ BR
    Appraisals are for increase in pay, but they decide your level of increase which hurts.
    It's obvious that every one expect they fall into the highest pay rise category right??
    Lol okay I agree everyone expects that. I've never not had a pay rise.. that's probably why I insist that we do need it? Plus I like knowing and confirming to myself and my company the reasons why I deserve say a five grand increase in my annual salary 😒
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The appraisal system should be there and it should happen , but it should not be a biased one.
  • David A Russell
    David A Russell
    Performance feedback is clearly a necessary evil, as it allows a company to reward and recognize its best employees to motivate them further. For employees who aren’t performing at optimum levels, it provides a structured way of working with the employees to raise their performance.

From an employee’ perspective, it is thus critical to ensure that your performance appraisals capture the best of your work during the period under review. The performance appraisal form becomes a permanent record that will have an impact on your career not only in the same organization, but may also be used as reference if requested by a future employer.

Obviously the most important thing to include in your performance feedback is achievement of your business goals or metrics. List down the key metrics and provide supporting evidence on how you achieved those goals. Include also challenges or obstacles that you managed to overcome.

Regardless of the industry, company or role you’re in, incorporate the following 5 key strengths in your performance appraisals. There is great emphasis on these values as they form the foundation for a company’s corporate culture, and are critical for its survival and long-term growth.

Key Strength # 1: Focus on customer satisfaction – describe how you contribute to increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty for the company’s long-term growth.
    Key Strength # 2: Teamwork and collaboration – highlight how you build lasting relationships with other teams and work collaboratively to achieve common goals.
    Key Strength # 3: Open communications – emphasize your willingness to listen to new ideas, or to adopt alternative approaches
    Key Strength # 4: Interpersonal skills – stress your ability to work with all levels within the organization
    Key Strength # 5: Adaptability to change – illustrate how you’re able to adapt in the face of constant changes in the organization or industry

High ratings in these areas will enhance your technical or functional expertise, and will make you a more valuable player within the organization.

David Russell (author for Phrases For Performance Appraisals)
    www.PhrasesForPerformanceAppraisals.com
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've always believed there's an alternative available to this necessary evil.
  • ank.hesh
    ank.hesh
    Well everyone in the world corporate or not works for incentives. In the absence of it there is no drive to work. If the company does not provide incentives you can be very sure that the work force would work in a normal mundane way. Be it in the form of verbal praise or bonuses or appraisals they are the benchmarks of recognition of one's toil and sheer effort he has put in his job. Well as far the pyramid thing goes. The one at the top be it CEO, Executive officer is bound to get an appraisal unmatched to other ranks. Is it wrong? No. it is again the engine to drive the employees. To take the point across that to climbing up the corporate ladder, skills and HR handling are equally important. If you just bash out complaining about the authoritative negligence you are just shaking the camaraderie in your work force.
  • Ella Pacey
    Ella Pacey
    The_Big_K
    A good bunch of CEans have gone through company performance appraisals. While each one of us has our own share of good/bad experiences associated with performance appraisals, I think it would be worth knowing what each one of us feels about appraisals.

Do you think performance appraisals are a must? Share your thoughts with the rest of us!
    I don’t know that if good performance appraisal is occurred but it’s the truth that a good performance appraisal system provides the following many advantages for the employee, supervisor and company. A well-administered program gives credibility to assigning the proper salary increases and bonuses to employees. It allows the supervisor to reward the right employees and the company to budget properly. Moreover, just as important as rewarding good work, a platform exists to deal with employees who need improvement. The documentation sets the stage for performance improvement plans and any other actions that may follow.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have a few PIC18F4680 and a few 18F4620.I recently purchased a programmer to program these devices , but unwittingly ended up with a programmer that cannot program the 18F's...

hi

hello friends iam amit from ratlam i have done diploma in electrical iam searchin 4 job
hi myself vicky engineering student from gju hisar😁
hi myself vicky i just completed my second year IT from gju hisar,haryana where i m suppose to do training😕
Hi friends, I,m doing my final year B.Tech in ECE.I wish to do a seminar topic on nanocommunication.Please, help me to get some information related to the above mentioned topic.