oPhone Can Send Smelly Messages - Let's Welcome Aromatic Communication

Imagine yourself being tired of the scorching summer heat and eager for the pleasant experience of the first rain. What if you were told that all you need to do is to go back to your pictures, probably from last year’s rainy season, to get the sweet aroma of fresh wet soil! You can also share such memories with your friends anywhere. Is this really possible, you ask? Yes, it is. On June 10 2014, Harward professor David Edwards sent the first ever TransAtlantic scent message from the American Museum Natural History in New York to a colleague in Paris. He , along with his former student and co-inventor Rachel Field, has invented a revolutionary device called the oPhone (olfactory phone). This Vapor Communication product allows users to send electronic aroma via mobile messages.

oPhone

oPhone consists of 8 oChips(olfactory chips) and each oChip contains 4 aromas which together form 32 primitive aromas. These oChips (also called aromatic vocabularies) are small, circular, and inexpensive chips.They are like ink cartridges which can be replaced after hundreds of uses.The different combinations of these 32 primitive aromas can create up to 300,000 unique aromas!

oPhone2
The oPhone users will be using oSnap app – the first scent based mobile messaging app which is available on #-Link-Snipped-# for free. After taking a picture on oSnap you will have to select the aromas which you want to add; the app will not add aromas for you. The message, called an oNote (olfatory note), is a combination of picture, text and aromas and is composed by an oSnap. You can also share oNote with your friends and loved ones via Twitter, Facebook or email.

An Indiegogo campaign starts from June 17. During this campaign, the oPhone will be available for pre-order for $149 and after its official launch it will cost $199. The following video will help to get the clear idea of how the oPhone will work.

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Mesmerised!!!!😍😍😍 Now, I can simply ask my Mom for a smelly message of her famous dishes, while I stuff myself with my Maggi Noodles.😒
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Anoop Mathew
    Mesmerised!!!!😍😍😍 Now, I can simply ask my Mom for a smelly message of her famous dishes, while I stuff myself with my Maggi Noodles.😒
    I am sorry, Per my understanding that wouldn't be possible.
    The oPhone consists of 8 oChips(olfactory chips) and that needs to be filled with that aroma (let me take an example of ink in printer),

After that mandatory steps, with the each linked message a specific aroma will be released;

Whatever, It is a great concept and innovation!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Rajni Jain
    I am sorry, Per my understanding that wouldn't be possible.
    The oPhone consists of 8 oChips(olfactory chips) and that needs to be filled with that aroma (let me take an example of ink in printer),

After that mandatory steps, with the each linked message a specific aroma will be released;

Whatever, It is a great concept and innovation!
    You clearly forget the term: 'Version Up-gradation'. It's the concept which was discovered that I cherish. The upgrades will follow. And moreover, there are 32 primitive aromas which can be combined differently to create 3,00,000 unique aromas as already mentioned in this post.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Anoop Mathew
    You clearly forget the term: 'Version Up-gradation'. It's the concept which was discovered that I cherish. The upgrades will follow. And moreover, there are 32 primitive aromas which can be combined differently to create 3,00,000 unique aromas as already mentioned in this post.
    I wish that those 32 primitive aromas that can create 300000 unique aromas (Probably a meager .1% of total possible aroma in world) will have a aroma of your wishful dishes as well 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have no clue if any of these is useful. Quote: Boost the chances of finding a lost phone, and sleep better starting tonight, with 10 life-changing lifehacks you can...
Mode, a start-up launched last year, raised $2 million as venture capital with an aim to create a GitHub like service for data scientists and analysts. To prevent the re-analysis...
Just found this during a random surf on the Internet, and I think it's quite awesome!
I have appeared final year exams of B.E.I want to know short term courses that I can do.
(Sent by K.Baloo to me) FIFA WORLD CUP FINAL A man takes his seat at a FIFA world cup final. He looks to his left & notices that there is...