Nitro boost and super cars

Most super cars of recent years come equipped with "nitro boost", everyone knows that its to increase the power output and speed of the automobile, but not many know what exactly happens due to nitro boost.
This boost is provided by using a chemical called nitrous oxide(N2O). Now the preparation of nitrous oxide isnt easy at all, its a hazardous process. In its preparation, ammonium nitrate(NH4NO3) is fused and boiled to form steam, nitrous oxide, toxic oxides of nitrogen(NO, NO2 etc) and ammonium nitrate fog. This reaction is highly exothermic(heat generating). if at all the ammonium nitrate is boiled at a high temperature(higher than 250 approx) it can cause an explosion. For this purpose this preparation is carried out in a controlled environment.
Now lets come to how its used in automobiles. There is a separate injection system which injects nitrous oxide before or along the intake manifold of the engine. Thus a some-what homogenous mixture of nitrous oxide, air and fuel(in case of petrol engines) and nitrous oxide and air(in case of diesel engines) is obtained. It is very important to know that nitrous oxide is non flammable. So it doesnt catch fire during combustion of fuel and air in the cylinders. What it does is that it provides more oxygen once it breaks down to the fuel which ensures minimum wastage of fuel that occurs during operation at higher speeds.
Nitrous oxide is stored in its liquid state (mostly its temperature is maintained slightly lower than room temperature), so when it is injected there isnt enough heat to vapourise it and droplets get injected into the manifold instead of vapours, so you get a dense charge which ensures maximum power output and reduces chances of detonation of cylinder. But if the temperature is too low, nitrous oxide doesnt break down into its components and thus becomes useless. So an optimum temperature has to be maintained.
Another problem is that the power generated due to nitro boost is enough to destroy the engine itself, That is a normal engine like lets say that of a honda city iv-tech. So for that purpose the engine has to be reinforced: use of very strong materials, increase in thickness of cylinder and its surrounding components, etc. this causes an increase in the mass of the engine. Hence to combat this, the outer body of super cars are made of light weight excessively strong material: Cabon fibre. Carbon fibre is very expensive. So is the construction of the engine since the calculations of engine dimensions have got to be precise and assembly is totally mechanised and specifications of car provided by the future owner of the car are handled by highly skilled labour. This skyrockets the price of the car (dont forget thet the BRAND NAME also adds to the price 😛 )

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    This surely cannot be that simple, seeing even superchargers with intercoolers can achieve the same effect you described. Modern cars have very little hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions, without using fancy materials and employing not-so-high-performance turbochargers. This means there is enough oxygen anyway in the cylinder!
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    But did you people know .. before the actual fuels came.. Carbon monoxide was used as the fuel for quite some years 😉 ??
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The Observer
    But did you people know .. before the actual fuels came.. Carbon monoxide was used as the fuel for quite some years 😉 ??
    Really ? ! now that is news to me. tell me more about it

now CO is a toxic gas, how was it made and used without people getting hurt ?
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    i read it in a book of automobile engineering authored by some "Gupta" guy about 3 years back.. it was used during WW-2.. have a wikipedia link for it too.. check out in the history section of the article..
    Carbon Monoxide
    i'd get you the exact use in a day or two. Need to get the exact details.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I believe the Nazis usurped all the petroleum in Europe during WW2, so some enterprising citizens attached a gasifier in a little wagon being towed behind their automobiles, in which coal/charcoal/wood was burned in a limited supply of oxygen, which then produced CO, which then could be piped into the engine of the car and burned. Of course, it was a dirty and inefficient way to go about it, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

So, getting back to N2O...
  • Ila Ragade
    Ila Ragade
    Gurjap
    This surely cannot be that simple, seeing even superchargers with intercoolers can achieve the same effect you described. Modern cars have very little hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions, without using fancy materials and employing not-so-high-performance turbochargers. This means there is enough oxygen anyway in the cylinder!
    whoa dude!!! if u doubt what i said you might as well surf google or wiki or something and find out!! id neva put up some craptastic information on any sight!!! if i dont know something id not brag about knowing it!!! and the emissions your talking about, they reduce coz of catalytic converters if you havent heard about them!!! and you cant morph petrol and diesel to have low hydrocarbon bonding coz dat would totally change the properties of the fuel, for your kindest information!!!!!!
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    whoa dude!!! if u doubt what i said you might as well surf google or wiki or something and find out!!
    I did that already, but I thank you for your kind advice.

id neva put up some craptastic information on any sight!!! if i dont know something id not brag about knowing it!!!
    I believe you.

and the emissions your talking about, they reduce coz of catalytic converters if you havent heard about them!!!
    I have most certainly heard of catalytic converters, but I do thank you for refreshing my memory of them. Also, as you say, catalytic converters reduce emissions. I have never said anything to the contrary, I assure you.

and you cant morph petrol and diesel to have low hydrocarbon bonding coz dat would totally change the properties of the fuel, for your kindest information!!!!!!
    I read and re-read my post, but I have been unable to find any reference to any morphing of petrol and diesel to have low hydrocarbon bonding, as you put it. Or were you perhaps trying to add to my 'kind information'? Please tell me more about hydrocarbon bonding and morphing petrol and diesel.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We used to have a wonderful activity until a few weeks ago - weekend talks. I believe the CE Conference can be used to conduct those debates/talks in a better,...
Check this video Starring Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, will.i.am, Chris Bosh, Jack Dorsey, Tony Hsieh, Drew Houston, Gabe Newell, Ruchi Sanghvi, Elena Silenok, Vanessa Hurst, and Hadi Partovi. Directed by...
Can someone explain to me what is the role of a decompression lever in an internal combustion engine?
We know that the optical media is dying and it's been a while you used your DVD drive. But have you ever thought of converting your DVD drive into a...
The D.C series wound motor has the following characteristics: 1. It gives high torque and high speed. 2. speed and torque continue to rise as soon as the machine is...