New One Atom Thick Material Could Be A Boon For Digital Technology

Physicists from the University of Kentucky in collaboration with Daimler in Germany and the Institute for Electronic Structure and Laser (IESL) in Greece have artificially designed an amalgamated form of silicon, boron and nitrogen which together is expected to perform much better than graphene. Recent studies have favoured Graphene due to its extraordinary strength and electrical and thermal properties. However, as it lacks the unique properties found in semi-conductors, the applications of graphene are still restricted in the field of digital electronics.

Madhu Menon, a physicist of Indian origin stated that the newest research product is a wonder in terms of its stability. With heavy theoretical computations, they could show that the combination of three elements resulted in a material which might even be able to replace graphene in several of its applications.

To aid the contemporary system, scientists were experimenting with a new class of three-layer materials named transition-metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs). But their bulky nature pushed researchers to tinker with the properties of boron, silicon and nitrogen in order to select an element that is light, earth abundant, inexpensive and a semiconductor.

new_material

The atoms in the new structure

During the process, only one arrangement of these elements found a stable structure, whereas the other structures collapsed. As the sizes of atoms and types of bonds are different, the final molecule bears an unequal, peculiar structure unlike graphene. Though the product is metallic, it could be operated exactly like a semiconductor with certain tweaks.

Researchers claimed that their work was successful in opening a new chapter in material science which will eventually help to upgrade the “smart” electronics industry to grow beyond its current limit. The complete research is summarized in Physical Review B journal.

Watch Madhu Menon proposes new 2D material:

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Today air conditioning is most essential part of our life and with the increase in the usage of air conditioners, make electrical power consumption more.my...
Project Abstract / Summary : Definition of the Problem: "The objective of the project is to modernise existing passenger ticketing system by introducing the concept of digital travel with the...
I'm a final year CSE student. I heard making contributions to open source might get my resume noticed when I'm applying for job / internship. Now I am completely new...
Hlo sir /mam I'm Avinash sherkar diploma last yr student in mechanical engineering. I'm confused about a job /degree plz suggest me what to do..
Project Abstract / Summary : My project title is "Pollution Free Vehicle". It is basically an electric vehicle propelled by an Induction Motor & power supplied from rechargeable battery. The...