*Engineering Trade:Chemical

Work Experience: Production ,R&D Education

*Hobbies & Interests: Traveling

*Aim in life: Social worker

*I joined CrazyEngineers because: To be Active in Society

Replies

• slbhagat
    slbhagat
    A discarded plastic bottle filled with water could help beat darkness in millions of slums, where people are forced to live without power. The bottle will serve as a light bulb, which help lighten a room during the daytime.
    The Vijnana Bharti in association with National Environment
    and Energy Development Mission has replicated an Indonesian formula to use sunlight to provide free-of-cost electricity to slum dwellers.
    The process was displayed during the third Bharatiya Vigyan Sammelan and Expo, 2012, at Lovely Professional University in Jalandhar on Thursday.
    Jai Kumar, general secretary of Vijnana Bharti describing the process said, “A plastic bottle is filled with water and hung from the roof of a room with no windows. One half of the bottle remains exposed to the sunlight, whereas the other is inside the room from the ceiling. The outside light refracts and lights up the dark room. The only drawback of the water bulb is that it is functional only from sunrise till sunset. As the sun goes down, the light dims and it doesn’t work at night.”
    He added that they were spreading awareness about the innovation with the help of 1 lakh volunteers, including students.
    “The Vijnana Bharti has started creating awareness about this basic physics principle among jhuggis of Madhya Pradesh, Punjab and Maharashtra. It is an arrangement that will yield illumination equivalent to that of a 100 W bulb,” he maintained.
    Interestingly, if some bleaching powder is added to the water, the light will scatter in the whole room. “The light will scatter more in the room if we add beaching powder, soda or chlorine tablets. The bleach prevents the growth of algae so that bulbs could last long,” Kumar said.

He added that during night hours, the reflection of halogen bulb from the streetlight could be used as a source for illumination.
    “The organisation’s goal is to use this environment friendly and readily available source of illumination and an alternative source of daylight to brighten 20 crore homes in the country that have no access to power,” he added.
    Kumar said, “The nature has bestowed many priceless gifts to the mankind. What is needed is to identify them.”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. It's a pleasure to have you with us. We hope you will enjoy CE and become an active contributor here.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    slbhagat
    Name: Sanjay Bhagat

*Engineering Trade:Chemical

Work Experience: Production ,R&D Education

*Hobbies & Interests: Traveling

*Aim in life: Social worker

*I joined CrazyEngineers because: To be Active in Society
    Hello Sanjay, Welcome to CE. It's good to have you here. Feel free to express your opinions and start new discussions. We hope to see you around here often.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A person keen on environment upliftment Nice to see welcome to CE friend

A bunch of us are here to see yo post new ideas for us to conserve it
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Welcome to community.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Welcome to community.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, All friends , My name is hinesh gohel. I have completed my Diploma (ECE) with 66%. I have just finished my b.tech (ECE), final semester exams, and waiting for...
Until now, it was not officially possible for Indian Android developers to sell their paid apps in the Google Play store. However, with a recent announcement on their blog, Google...
i am doing my B.E. mechanical engineering ....... how should we learnt the basics ? how it help to me duriing my work?
The popular media player VLC has released VLC 2.0.4 with the much awaited opus code support. According to the release notes, the latest update brings a number of fixes and...
Microsoft is all set to shake the world with Windows 8 operating system release along with it's own rival to the iPad, Samsung tablets and the Kindle fire called the...