Mushroom House: eerie example of Organic Architecture

Built in 1971 in upstate New York, the Mushroom House consists of 5 connected pods (Google Maps), each suspended between 15 and 20 feet above the ground by steel stems. (It has held up for 40 years so far!) The interior has over 9000 ceramic tiles. It overlooks a creek, waterfall and outdoor hot tub and has a fiber-optic lit walkway (kinda like Avatar).

#-Link-Snipped-#.

Mushroom-House-exterior-589x391

Some Notable facts here. #-Link-Snipped-#

It's on sale for 1.1 million. Buying anyone? 😁

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting structure! How stable is it?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I don't know how to find out the stability factor.
    Any Civil Engineer here who would want to tell us about it? 😀

From what I read, the house sits firm on the concrete and steel stems which are 5feet thick at the base and 3feet thick at the top. The house is divided into two parts; one part is the base with 34feet diameter and the other part is the pod top weighing 80 tons.

Can the stems bear this much weight? What is the minimum and maximum weight these stems can bear?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HP Labs India has launched an innovative set top box that connects to your regular or HDTV and lets you browse Internet in an incredibly easy way. HP calls it...
We haven't had really challenging logic based puzzles on CE. If someone can post a puzzle, I'd like to give it a try. Come on, bring it on! 😎
Many of us may have an habit of listening to favorite music while doing some work. I saw these kind of thread in so many websites. So why can't we...
MIT scientists at CSAIL have devised new algorithms to send big video files wirelessly through your Smartphone- Here is the breakthrough Fourier Transforms Set To Become Faster @ SODA
Following are the salient points of the minimum hardware requirements for a Windows 8 operating system based tablet. I'm curious to know your take on it. ARM based tablets won't...