Moscow's Crystal Island - Construction & Details

Guys, this one is awesome!!! Not from Philippines though, but it is worth seeing... 😀
[​IMG]

Moscow’s rapidly growing skyline will soon feature an eye-popping new addition: Crystal Island, which will be the world’s biggest building when completed. Sir Norman Foster’s mountainous 27 million square feet spiraling “city within a building” will cost $4 billion and it is scheduled to be built within next 5 years.

The Crystal Island will be Lord Foster’s second large scale project in the Russian capital, and his third new building design that resembles a volcano (we’re talking about his two mountainous buildings in Astana, Kazakstan). Although many people are calling this design the ‘Christmas Tree’ of Moscow – we can’t help but be reminded of the utopian and also rather volcanic X-Seed 4000 design for Tokyo. Unlike that pipe-dream project, however, Foster has a track record of getting buildings built, so the likelihood is high that we will see this striking structure towering over the Kremlin within 5 years time.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Post moved to form new thread.

By the way, this project has been halted because of the economic recession. Any update on when will the construction begin? Also, are such structures good when it comes to wind resistance?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Post moved to form new thread.

By the way, this project has been halted because of the economic recession. Any update on when will the construction begin? Also, are such structures good when it comes to wind resistance?
    A few more info from that same source...
    [​IMG]

The unique feature is, there are Solar Reflectors, which, along with wind turbines, will generate electricity for the huge tower. Natural ventilation will be provided thanks to numerous strategically placed large atriums.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    thats an awesome structure 😁 when we come up with such beautiful looking structures the problems would mostly land in the form of ventilation lighting, etc. but these engineers seem to have handled it well 😁
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I have also seen a house which is completely under Earth! If possible, Biggie, please try to get it. Its totally greenish and only the exhaust is visible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's not go off topic on this thread. One can always start a new thread to discuss a new topic. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anand Rajaraman and Jeffrey D Ullman are publishing a book on Mining of Massive Dataasets, based on the CS345A course they have been teaching (now CS246 in the Winter and...
hey friends, i got a idea as many of us are students why can't we post our class topics and our lessons here i makes others to know our concepts...
😎​ I am great fan of programming and some web designing! Which language is the toughest at this time ? Why do you feel?
I'm looking for few inputs on typical problems associated with very large database systems. My knowledge of databases is very limited and that makes me feel that as the database...
Pro and con dont just mean "for" and "against". That would be too easy. As prefixes, pro sometimes means "before" and con often means "with". Here are some pros and...