Microchip vs. Atmel Microcontrollers

Hey everybody,

Was just wondering for those of you who do work with micro controllers, which company's controllers do you prefer to use? I have exclusively used the PIC controllers as it was what I learned on at school, but I see a lot of information on the web for people using the Atmel's.

Any comments would be great,

Thanks.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hello Everett,

In My company i have worked on MICROCHIP,FREESCALE,NXP,ATMEL,TI and RENESAS. But I am not expert in each as i have worked for one or two project only and it was software part only.
    Normally i used to work on Freescale MCU mostly as its IDE is awesome there is inbuilt GUI and everything is easy. I can say if your IDE is much easy you would like to work on that. but if we are looking at Cost then i think ATMEL or MICROCHIP are better as their Programmer are cheaper.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    It would be better to get a programmable microchip and program it, rather getting a preprogrammed micro-controller!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    It would be better to get a programmable microchip and program it, rather getting a preprogrammed micro-controller!
    Praveen:- We can write software for any Mircrocontroller and we can load it into that chip.
    Then what is the difference between the two? ๐Ÿ˜
  • infinity_nimish
    infinity_nimish
    i have worked with atmega 16 but not with pic. at C level there might not be much of a difference actually.one can use any. but if you are required to program in assembly then i think the difference would come into picture. Also pic has the DSPIC series which has some DSP features. one can use PIC if he feels he might require DSP features in the future. then he can migrate on to the DSPIC easily.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    Then what is the difference between the two? ๐Ÿ˜
    See Suppose i Buy a Microcontroller from manufacturer then it not programmed, then i write code for some application and then i load code into that and suppose after that i sell that microcontroller in market then it becomes Programmed chip. ๐Ÿ˜€

Hope this thing clears your doubt. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    infinity_nimish
    i have worked with atmega 16 but not with pic. at C level there might not be much of a difference actually.one can use any. but if you are required to program in assembly then i think the difference would come into picture. Also pic has the DSPIC series which has some DSP features. one can use PIC if he feels he might require DSP features in the future. then he can migrate on to the DSPIC easily.
    @nimish~
    Yes you are right if you write code in assembly language then as per the CORE used in perticular MCU the instruction set is different and you have to learn all the instructions.
    Totally confused... ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    Totally confused... ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    Okey Post your Question first it might be possible that i am not getting your question properly. ๐Ÿ˜€
    What is the difference between a programmable microchip and an already programmed micro-controller, where we can load our own program???
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    What is the difference between a programmable microchip and an already programmed micro-controller, where we can load our own program???
    Every MCU manufacturer have its own Programmer by which we can load our program into the chip. got it?
    Best thing is to call and ask... I will call you once I come home... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    Best thing is to call and ask... I will call you once I come home... ๐Ÿ˜
    Oh Poor me. ๐Ÿ˜”
    Don't worry... Am a bit lagging in Microcontrollers and stuff... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • everett.pattison
    everett.pattison
    You can buy a chip such as this #-Link-Snipped-# for example. You then write your C or ASM code for it, then load it onto the chip by use of a programmer such as this #-Link-Snipped-#

Hope this clears up any confusion.
    Yeah, to an extent... ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks GF and EP!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Arduino (Atmel based) is pretty easy to program ๐Ÿ˜€
    ash
    I have heard of it... Its awesome plus they are also giving the SDK or what ever... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    Right now collecting some pocket money for Arduino board. ๐Ÿ˜

Ash, have you worked on Arduino?
    I have worked on Audrino SDK for a hospital project... Used HyperTerminal and stuffs to get the data...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    I have worked on Audrino SDK for a hospital project... Used HyperTerminal and stuffs to get the data...
    Have yo written code for ATMEL Microcontroller or worked on Computer side software?
    My friend has done, I will get something...
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    I experience that many of our senior from electronics dept prefer ATMEL for final year embeded projects.
    Is it easy to write a program for ATML ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    mohit007kumar00
    I experience that many of our senior from electronics dept prefer ATMEL for final year embeded projects.
    Is it easy to write a program for ATML ?
    I don't think so. It is just because of the Ready reference code available for ATMEL and its easily available in market.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    godfather
    Right now collecting some pocket money for Arduino board. ๐Ÿ˜

Ash, have you worked on Arduino?
    Sorry for late reply. Yep, worked on it. Can be used in a lot of different projects.. the standardization of the shields helps tremendously.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    Sorry for late reply. Yep, worked on it. Can be used in a lot of different projects.. the standardization of the shields helps tremendously.
    Great I will ask you for any help if required once I finalize the Arduino board. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Good evening mates, Most four-stroke piston engines today employ one or more camshafts to operate poppet valves. The lobes on the camshafts operate cam followers which in turn open the...
The 2011 contest is now open for entries! Create the Future Design Contest ::Create the Future
Have you tried to understand the difference between economic systems in different countries - but simply can't get your head around it? This classic jokes explains it all, with cows:...
[video=youtube;LX07w8_uNtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX07w8_uNtk&feature=[/video]
I was reading the Google Blog a few minutes ago when suddenly my MacBook screen turned black. ๐Ÿ˜• The cursor was still visible and I could move the cursor across...