micro processors and controllers-learn and contribute

Hi friends,
As we all study the subjects in the college and we also face the viva at the submission time so how if we start the Exams here on CE? not Like our exams but here we will discuss on the basic questions asked in this Post.
And our fellow Ceans gives the Marks to each Post/Question.

Rules:-

1) There is 1 Mark for each Question
2) Everyone who reads this topic have to give away the marks to Cean.
3) We will update the score here on the Main Post
4) Do not copy paste the answer try to explain in your language.

Questions:-
1.Why we are upgrading processors with the increase in bit numbers?
2.What are the main logics used in design of processors and controllers?
3.Why controllers are designed only for specific purposes?

Replies

• Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    1. because we can transmit more data and can perform operations quickly(guess from my knowledge πŸ˜›)

3. Because Micro controllers are embedded devices. The software is installed in it where the controller can only perform on specific operation and in embedded devices it performs on a specific device. Where the multiple operation can only possible when RT OS(Real time OS) is present
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @narayana: I didn't get question number 3. What do you mean by specific purposes?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good Start NM.

Answer:-
    why we are upgrading processors with the increase in bit numbers?
    1) Well the basic meaning of increasing bit number means that we are upgrading Microcontroller (We can say MCU) Data Lines and it helps to fetch up the data fast.
    for example If there is 8-bit MCU then it can fetch only 8 bit at a time so if we want to read 0xFFFF from memory then it will first fetch Lower byte FF and then again FF of Higher byte but if the MCU is of 16-bit then it has data line of 16 bit so it can fetch the FFFF directly and the same thing with 32,64 bit MCU.
    what are the main logics used in design of processors and controllers?
    2) Well, actually I am not able to understand this question.VLSI is used to design the Processor and Controllers. and the basic things in the Processor and controller are LOGIC GATES only.

why controllers are designed only for specific purposes?
    3) In the answer of this question I would like to say that MCUs are not ONLY designed for specific purposes there are lot of MCUs are available you can select among them according to your application. Yes there are also some MCU available for particular application like Energy Meter solutions. I am also agree with the Deelip's view. πŸ˜€

PS:- I have one suggestion that why not make the First Post attractive? I can help you let me know if you want. πŸ˜€
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    1. why we are upgrading processors with the increase in bit numbers?
    Because number of bits of uP means number of bits that can process at a time. so when we do basic adding subtracting, multiply, divide it can take bigger number and in most of the case less number of clock cycles required. It can also read-write more number of bits at a time so overall speed will increase by increasing number of bits. It can handle more number of instructions too.

2. what are the main logics used in design of processors and controllers?
    this question is little it confusing.
    If we see at very low level then it is made of logic gates only.
    but in terms of digital electronics components it contents various things.
    like Decoder (instruction decoder)
    adder/substractor ( in ALU)
    shift registers
    multiplexers (at multipurpose i/o pins)..

3. why controllers are designed only for specific purposes?
    agree with godfather.
    controllers are not always for specific purpose. but it is counted in this category because user cant change any hardware resources of controller unlike processors.
    for example freescale has some automotive controllers, that controllers can be used in other purpose also but why they say it for specific purpose is they have designed resources like communication protocols hardware (CAN for automobile , Spi etc..), power consumption, noise immunity suitable for that purpose.
    there are many micro controllers available for general purpose.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Maulik:- Good Job Man ! Bravo ! :claps:
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    ok now anyone interested in giving questions here
    let me take a chance of giving answer rather questions
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hmmmm again i am taking charge of leak of question paper 😁
    4.why all the other devices connected to processor is connected to other address pins leaving A0
    5.Explain about even banks and odd banks in processors?
    6.what are types of interrupts given to processors
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hey friends i got a doubt here
    in my exam i got a question as explain about trouble shooting in micro controllers 😲
    now my doubt is how trouble shooting is linked with micro controllers
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    narayana murthy
    hey friends i got a doubt here
    in my exam i got a question as explain about trouble shooting in micro controllers 😲
    now my doubt is how trouble shooting is linked with micro controllers
    Trouble shooting? in which meaning?
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    4. because A0 can act as both data and address pins and hence we can transmit data.

For example if we connect LCD to these pins when data is flowing then these pins will act as address pins and these pins direct the data to the corresponding address.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    godfather
    Trouble shooting? in which meaning?
    i too don't know the question asked is
    what is meant by trouble shoot?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    dileep k
    4. because A0 can act as both data and address pins and hence we can transmit data.

For example if we connect LCD to these pins when data is flowing then these pins will act as address pins and these pins direct the data to the corresponding address.
    may be dillep but upto my knowledge in LED we don't connect pin of A0 of processor because A0 is pin to select even bank and BHE is for odd bank selection
    i think i am right if wrong sorry
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Maybe he meant troubleshooting a microprocessor. If he means that, then there are many ways to troubleshoot, including software debugging methods, using an oscilloscope or using on board debuggers.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    xheavenlyx
    Maybe he meant troubleshooting a microprocessor. If he means that, then there are many ways to troubleshoot, including software debugging methods, using an oscilloscope or using on board debuggers.
    yes i thought the same and written about bugs and its solving

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

πŸ˜•πŸ˜‰I just want to ask these questions about SILICA FUME CONCRETE: The characteristics of SILICA FUME The properties of SILICA FUME CONCRETE What are the advantages and disadvantages of using...
Can somebody here discuss about Rainwater Harvesting??? and also discuss Methods of Rainwater HarvestingπŸ˜€
Since tunnel is also part of Civil, why don't we discuss about tunnels, tunneling method, etc. It's seems that there is no discussion here about tunnels. πŸ˜€ I hope you...
"Facebook is going to be the most valuable company in the world within 24 months," predicts NYU professor Scott Galloway, speaking at a recent L2 event. [video]https://fora.tv/2011/01/20/Scott_Galloway_Trends_and_Impact_of_Digital_Compet ence#Facebook_The_Next_Evolution_of_the_Internet[/video] Meanwhile, flashback...
I am doing the internship in the company providing custom manufacturing (lazer, AWJ, Plasma, Oxy cutting, bending, welding) service. Production type - single products, or small batch production. actually the...