Matlab-Simulink 3 phase pi-section model of transmission lines (impedance calculatio)

I am using the "Three-Phase PI Section Line" Matlab-Simulink block from Simpowersystems blockset for modelling an electric power system transmission line.

I had obtained the data from a research paper regarding the transmission line specifications (provided as sequence values).

Since I am trying to do actual impedance calculations of each phase for distance protection & fault location purposes, I tried to compute the variation of per phase impedance using a program (given below).
    clear all; clc;close all;
    a=exp(deg2rad(120)*1j);  %% a = -0.5000 + 0.8660j
    A = [1 1 1; 1 a^2 a; 1 a a^2]; %% Matrix for Symmetrical component transformation
    Fo = 60;

%% Line Specification using sequence values (taken from paper)
    R10 = [0.0317   0.3192];   L10 = [0.3204   1.0083]./(2*pi*60) ;   C10 = [10.838e-9  7.6493e-9];
    Distance = 1:150; %% in km

for k = 1:length(Distance)
        R10 = R10*Distance(k); L10 = L10*Distance(k); C10 = C10*Distance(k);
        XL10 = (2*pi*Fo)*L10;  XC10 = 1./((2*pi*Fo)*C10);    
        Z10 = R10 + 1j*( XL10 - XC10 );

Z0(k) = Z10(2);     Z1(k) = Z10(1);     Z2(k) = Z1(k);
        Z012 = [Z0(k) 0 0; 0 Z1(k) 0; 0 0 Z2(k)];
        Zabc = A*Z012*((1/3)*(A'));

Zs(k) = Zabc(1); Zm(k) = Zabc(2);

end

figure(1);subplot(2,1,1);plot(Distance,real(Z0));subplot(2,1,2);plot(Distance,imag(Z0));
    figure(2);subplot(2,1,1);plot(Distance,real(Z1));subplot(2,1,2);plot(Distance,imag(Z1));
    figure(3);subplot(2,1,1);plot(Distance,real(Zs));subplot(2,1,2);plot(Distance,imag(Zs));
    figure(4);subplot(2,1,1);plot(Distance,real(Zm));subplot(2,1,2);plot(Distance,imag(Zm));
The program takes the system data of the transmission line (which are given in unit/km), which can be used as parameters for the Simulink 3 phase pi-section block.
The distance is multiplied to the data to get the actual values.
The impedances are computed, the sequence impedances and the per phase impedances are found out. The values of resistance and reactance are computed from the real part and imaginary part respectively. This operation is done for various distances and the plot shows that.

I find that the values plot rise to very high values (order of 1e200). How can current flow if impedance is so high ? If the system data is inappropriate, please tell me why.
Please suggest the reason for such a problem and how can I overcome it?
Thanks in advance 😀

Replies

• steelomatic
    steelomatic
    Re: Matlab-Simulink 3 phase pi-section model of transmission lines (impedance calcula

not really into power systems

but from wht i remember

admittance and impedance matrix should be seperate

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We covered it on VoiCE: Space Hotel By Russian Orbital Technologies For The Obscenely Rich - CrazyEngineers Check it out! Quite interesting!
[TABLE="width: 99%, align: left"] [TR] [TD]Is there anyway of maintaining secrecy on FB?[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]What if you don't want people to see your posts? What if you want to...
Hey my friends also discussed that result will be display after 6.00 pm
I have seen a trend among online community that most of them believe in microblogging. Some of the popular blogging sites include Twitter and Tumblr. Share with us how you...
Tortoise mobile again thanks to wheel - YouTube