Making a simple clutch at home.

Clutches are friction devices, which transmit power between two shafts.

In a way they qualify as shaft couplings.

Now my idea is that supposing two mating surfaces of two flange type couplings are stuck with sand paper, then can the clutching action take place due to the high friction between the two surfaces (sand paper surfaces) ?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    come on guys, no replies here.

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey buddy really Sorry I am not so much into this clutch drives and stuff they are sort of aliens to me Sorry man

😔 Hope some answers come here
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    In the way you are talking, I can say it can act only as Friction clutch when two plates just mate and power is transmitted. but I doubt it's efficiency :O
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Obviously dude clutches are friction devices, and they work when two friction surfaces mate. now when sandpaper is used, as friction material instead of asbestos or leather, then would it work or not ? efficiency hardly matters.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    well it would work, at least to say!
    but the power transmitted will be much less.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Kedar Malwadkar
    well it would work, at least to say!
    but the power transmitted will be much less.
    Exactly i was talking about... efficiency. Amount of power transmitted would be very less..
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    why not make it work as it is. sandpaper spoil in long use.
    Any picture of what you are talking about?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    mreccentric
    why not make it work as it is. sandpaper spoil in long use.
    Any picture of what you are talking about?

my prime aim is to find out how well sand paper or emery paper will do as friction facing material, besides asbestos, mica or leather .
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Friction can be very well got from them But the time you get continuous friction from them is a big ?

Cos these papers get abraded rather very fast. For shorter durations they can be used
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    Conqueror
    Friction can be very well got from them But the time you get continuous friction from them is a big ?

Cos these papers get abraded rather very fast. For shorter durations they can be used
    that was what i meant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

That is unlikely, but right. The US Navy has succeeded in harvesting Carbon Dioxide and Hydrogen from sea water and synthesize hydrocarbons right on high seas. If plans pan out...
3D printing or additive forming has come a long way. All sorts of finished goods can now be made using this technology. All sorts of things were shown made by...
The video it self has all you need. When ever you are saying that you are stuck in a critical problem. Try this out. Why not change your words to...
Plastics are in greater use today in many areas for many reasons. There is a bewildering variety of them. They can be moulded in complicated shapes. All of these add...
hey can you explain what is the difference between level triggered and edge triggered?