Looking to write GATE on Computer Science

Hello every one...

I am currently working as an IT Consultant and Developer in a reputed firm after obtaining my undergraduate engineering degree in Production and Industrial Engg.

However the theoretical aspects of computer science have always interested my though I had to enter in to a different field as my family willed me to get admission in to a reputed college even if the stream was not exactly my choice.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am now seeing that with my current qualifications, I can only stay in the service industry, and to be in the Product Engg and Development field, I need a degree in CS. So I am thinking about writing the GATE on CS.

Now the thing is I have been working for almost 4 years now, and I will need to brush up even on my 11th/12th level maths before I can dip in to the Engg Mathematics for GATE, though I daresay I wasnt too dull in that dept .. ๐Ÿ˜›

We now have a little over 8 months remaining before GATE 2012, and if I spend 3-4 weeks on the brush up and leave the last month for no new topic and only revision, I have a little over 6 months in between to complete the GATE syllabus for completing the syllabus up to a level to get a good score. In addition to that I am working at the moment, for which I have to put in at 9-10 hrs a day.

I have just one question at the moment..

Is it Doable ?

If you guys say it is.. and I can get the confidence.. I will come back with more questions again.

Thanks for any one who looks in to the post, and double thanks to any one who takes some time to reply with his/her views.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I appeared for GATE in 2011 and i think its possible to complete the syllabus in 6 months. Looking at your condition, like you have to work and you are out of touch for some time, still i think its doable, as 6 months is a sufficient amount of time. Start studying and All The Best...!!!!
  • apollo
    apollo
    Thanks a lot for your reply...

Now which topics from 11th/12th Maths do you think I should revisit before I dip into Engg Maths again ๐Ÿ˜’

I am thinking Theory Of Equations, Complex Numbers and Binomial Theorem from Algebra and the entire Calculus section (Limits, Continuity, Differential/Integral Calculus and Diff Equations).

Anything I missed?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I dont think you need to revise complex numbers as its not included in GATE syllabus. Remember to have at Permutation and combination as we have both, P&C and Probability, in the syllabus.
  • apollo
    apollo
    Thanks peeyush... as advised by you, I skipped complex numbers and started off with probability, p&c and statistics.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Now have started with discrete mathematics using Rosen as my book.

Now as I am studying entirely from reference books, and there is no clear cut boundary on the scope of the gate syllabus, I might be having some questions on some aspects of the syllabus while I study.

So my first question.. do I need to study Proof Methods ? I will be using cormen as my algorithm text (already got it) and I am seeing that some people are saying it is pretty heavy on proofs.

I have covered propositional and first order predicate logic, and if I dont need proofs I will move on to sets.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Whoa....you are working really hard..๐Ÿ˜€
    As you said you are going to study coreman, that book is bible for algorithms, and i guess to understand it completely you might need to study proof methods. Proof methods is not that tough part, it wont consume time. Give it a shot...๐Ÿ˜€
  • apollo
    apollo
    nicepeeyush
    Whoa....you are working really hard..[โ€‹IMG]
    Thanks.. what matters is that I should be able to keep up the tempo. ๐Ÿ˜€

Well I figured.. we as engineering students never study till around 3-4 weeks before the semester exam(at least I never did.. ๐Ÿ˜›)..
    as there about 4-5 semesters worth of topics I need to cover for gate, I have enough time as long as I can study as I did during the sems .. so I am trying.. lets see... ๐Ÿ˜€

nicepeeyush
    Give it a shot...
    will do....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Fest - OASIS, the annual cultural festival of BITS- Pilani, has achieved a cult status of its own. OASIS 2011 โ€“ The Roadtrip is being held from 20th to...
Hello.. I am a third year student in ECE ( Electronics and Communications). I am thinking of writing both GRE and GATE. I read that from 2011 third years are...
Just a minute before I read some good points quoted by CEan Duke007 and CEan Durga. What they said was really awesome. Touch screen is becoming a day to day...
hey if one wants is it possible to prepare for both GRE and GATE...or it will be too hectic and not worth it???
how much does 1st year syllabus has weightage in GATE exam...also see i study in an information technology institue so we dont have all the branches like civil and mechanical...however...