"Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food" - True or Not?

After spending an awful two days at Neurology department of the very famous Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, Kerala, India with my college mate who is also my good friend, roommate and colleague at work, who developed a recent state of absent mindedness, headache, confusion and was in a state of altered consciousness on top of viral fever - which now when diagnosed has turned out to be #-Link-Snipped-#, which is Meningitis caused by a virus, I'm totally concerned about various food habits that we practice these days. My friend is an avid smoker and often eats food from small 'thattukadas' aka Dhabas (small road side shops) in order to save precious money. In this era of new diseases growing rapidly each day, how much can we imply this famous quote by the Father of Medicine in our daily lives???

"Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food"- Hippocrates

As busy engineers, how pre-cautious are we be about our health???

P.S.: A psychology student once told me, "We've a job because there are lots of engineers like yourself in India who experience a lot of tension and strain."

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Anoop, Viral Meningitis is less dangerous than bacterial meningitis. Being viral it is self limiting. There not much medicine for it.
    Thattukkada cannot lead to this. Viral meningitis is transmitted by other means. Only in rare cases hospitalization is needed. Your friend should be all right soon.
  • mail154
    mail154
    "Precious Money" ? Not Exactly. What is precious than us? If you are being hospitalized, will it be free to you? This is the problem with some people. If we make it(money) and we use it, then how it is more precious than us? It is no matter in losing health and earning money and then losing money to restore health. By this i don't mean that money is not important. We have to understand the fine line that money is a part of life,which is often considered more essential but never most essential. And also i wanted to tell you all road side shops are not bad, and all luxurious hotels are good. I strongly have belief in let food be thy medicine and let medicine be thy food.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Food is medicine in totality But they way it is grown now makes it more of a poison than a medicine So Food is always a better medicine

And Some chemical promising it will remove ailment Whose location can't be found exactly is not a solution at any time

So food is always medicine If we neglect it now we will have the other way around real soon
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I accept the CEans version. I had learnt in one of my language subjects that " eat food that have the capacity to act medicine" like eating garlic for stomach pain etc. Eating healthy foods are the best way to keep yo healthy. Try to minimize the use of fast food shops rarely. It is also a main reason gor sickness.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey am building a robot for robowars, i bought 4 used maruti 800 wiper motors i am planing to use it for the wheels, I am new to this, soo...
i am studying my final year mechanical engineering..u people know due to the economic crisis..the placement is nt well this year..so tough to get a job...i have heard about one...
Trick for multiplying any number with 11 23*11= 253 lets consider, when 2 digit number are multiplied with 11. consider 2 (2+3) 3 = 253. 34*11=3 (3+4) 4 =374. A...
As all of us know Plastic is one of the finest as well as worst invention ever made.It has all properties which are useful in creating todays modern gadgets and...
As all we know right from the invention wheels Man try to explore the world with his new inventions.It may be chariot,a car,airplane,ship but humans were always exploring and recent...