Know Your CEan - SilverScorpion

CEans,
It's a pleasure to bring you one of the most active & energetic CEans we have on CrazyEngineers - SilverScorpion. Check out our chat with CEan SilverScorpion -
1.    Hi SilverScorpion aka Ramkumar, you are an ECE engineer. Tell us more about yourself.
Hi all. About myself, there's very little to say. I did my schooling in Coimbatore. I'm currently based in Chennai. I'm a half baked engineer right now. Doing my final year ECE, crazy about telecommunications. Among my many interests and pursuits are the following: Books, chess, Japanese, photography, internet, computer games, hockey, music (Only listening), Sudoku etc. One day, I want to be known to have changed the way people live.
2.    Your father is a Finance guy where as your mother and brother are Mechies. So what made you choose engineering?
I've always been interested in physics and maths. I'm intrigued by machines, both small and big alike. I wanted to know how everything works. I wanted to create something new. These things prompted me to take up engineering. In another more realistic perspective, I don't like biology at all. And I didn't know such a thing as economics existed, when I completed my 10th. So, I took up computer science group in my 11th. And with that, you can only become an engineer. And so it happened. And as it happened, I secured 130th rank in the state in my engineering entrance exams. So, I thought to myself, may be engineering would suit me.
3.    So how often you guys have the engineer v/s non-engineer debate?
Well, we never have engineer v/s non-engineer debate. Dad is not interested in all that.
But we sure often have the mechanical v/s electronics engineers debate. That'll be very interesting. And it gives me pleasure to say that most of the times I win..
The principle argument would be, mechies see things in a macro perspective. All they deal with are heavy and huge, as in engines and turbines. We on the other hand, deal with invisible things. Electrons and waves... We imagine what we can't see and use that to create magic. So, we require more creativity and imagination, blah blah... I think my bro doesn't have any points to counter my point. he he he.
4.    Are you a bookworm? What are the books that you have read lately?
Yes. I'm a big book worm. I spend a lot of time reading. My mom and dad also read a lot. I've been reading since my childhood. I started off with small comics and stories. Tinkle used to be my favorite magazine for a while.
And then I moved on to bigger books. Sci-fi, non fiction... I didn't leave any genre untouched.
I've a huge list of favorites. In fiction, I like Dan Brown books... Then comes Robert Ludlum. Bourne series especially. Sidney Sheldon, James Hadley Chase and many others. Harry potter is also my favorite.
Sci-fi: Hitch hikers' series... Michael Crichton books like Next, Prey, Andromeda Strain etc.
Oh, how did I miss Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie.. The greatest mystery stories... I love them.
Lately I've started with non fiction and biographies. I've started Mein Kempf (My struggle), Hitler's autobiography. I'm also reading a book called Pale blue dot. The latest book I've completed is "Banker to the poor", an account of the Grameen Bank, the biggest national bank of Bangladesh. I've almost finished another book in the same lines. It's "The Lexus and the olive tree", about globalization.
5.    What role would you prefer out of these? Also give a reason. (1) A Rocket Scientist, (2) Chief Engineer R&D of, say, Intel, TI or ST, OR (3) A business tycoon.
Ans: (3) A business tycoon.
I don't know why, but these days I'm beginning to like economics and business very much. I've taken a liking towards business and management. I read more and more about business success stories. Hereby, I don't mean that I'm neglecting my engineering. I'm not. I'm simply also attracted to the other side. Being a businessman is more challenging and thrilling than the others, according to me. Also, a business tycoon gets to be more famous than the chief of R&D of a company.
Hence, out of these three, I'd like to see myself as a business tycoon.
Rapid Fire round-
Imagine you are turned into President Obama. What could be the first thing that will come to your mind?
First thing would be to regulate all the banks and to smash Wall Street to the ground.
1.    Tell me one government rule (can be traffic rules) you would like to change. Why?
Currently, the 47-O option of the polling system is obscure. To use it, we've to fill a form and explicitly state we are not voting. I'd include an option for that in the voting machine itself.
(Can't think of anything else now..)
2.    Are you in love? (Answer in one word only)
YES.
3.    Name any three best threads you came across on CE
1. Java thread by Shalini
2. CE Bot. (All parts)
3. The L0ooooooooooo0ng thread
There are many more. And the above three are in no particular order. They came to my mind in that order. That's all.
4.    Complete the sentence... "I'd like to change the world because..."
I'd like to change the world because... "I don't like the way it is now".
And I think that with the change I'm going to make, I can make this world a better place for ourselves and our gen next.
5.    Complete the sentence... "I joined CE because"
I joined CE because "my brother asked me to".
Well, I and my brother spend quite a lot of time in the internet. We used to share between us any new and good websites we find. One day, my bro asked me to check out a website called www.crazyengineers.com. And here I am...
PS: A little clarification about rapid fire qn 3: I am yet to have a girl friend in the original sense of the word. But still, I'm in love.
Thanks for your time Ramkumar. It was great talking to you. We look forward to lifelong contributions from you on CE.
Pleasure is mine. Thanks very much Mayur. 😀
--------------------------------------------------------
Discuss this KYCEan with fellow crazy engineers on CE Forum in following thread - #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bluetooth to devices is what voice is to humans. The revolutionary technology that has changed the way devices communicate, has become a part of our everyday lives. Bluetooth enables us...
My Engineer Friends, If you still need a reason to join CrazyEngineers, then read this - Dr. Stephen Wolfram is answering your questions only on CrazyEngineers - Deadline Extended! Yes!...
My school friends and I had a small reunion few days ago. We had just had mocha at Café Coffee Day outlet in the city and I was driving them...
CEans, CrazyEngineers is full of engineers from various backgrounds, disciplines, fields and geographic locations. All of them bring kick-ass ideas & knowledge to CE Forums. About a week ago, we...
As most of our CEans already know, CE got started as a hobby website and was run as one for almost 2.5 years. Like any other online community, CE relies...