Keeping all your data in cloud - is that smart?

Google Chrome has just launched and I'm wondering the approach they have [keeping all the data in cloud] is smart or not?

One can easily argue that it makes the data independent of the accessing machine - that is, if you lose a machine, you simply get a new machine and everything is back.

But let's say, for some reason, if the cloud is corrupted [network going down et al] - your data suddenly becomes unavailable. Let's say you can't recall your cloud login - you can't access any of your data.

Of course, there are several other factors which may lead to deciding whether keeping all our data in the cloud is smart or not.

What's your take?

Replies

• ms_cs
    ms_cs
    But let's say, for some reason, if the cloud is corrupted [network going down et al] - your data suddenly becomes unavailable. Let's say you can't recall your cloud login - you can't access any of your data.
    Google's Big Servers can take backup of data and We can retrieve it.

But problem is with the privacy I think..
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Today although the storage is becoming cheaper but still there are many thing one wants to keep a record and the records keep on piling up with time

A normal home pc user may buy upto 500 gb of hard disk but today there is so much of things one wants to keep record of such as old songs, files of old work that are not of use now, and anything although songs or videos can be accessed at anytime again on the net but still it will save the overhead of searching a good quality and genuine link as you just to your one step online backup.

Any softwares that you don't use now but may want to store.

Now there comes an argument that there are cd's and dvd's for that. But they have there own drawbacks. You might misplace them. They may crack or get unreadable.

So, even there may be problems associated with this idea but still it may prove helpful to almost all. Atleast as a safe and better place to dump your data that may not be so much important.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Regarding the privacy I think that it will not hamper the privacy as they will not make the data of any one user by default public to other users across the globe, I suppose.

It will be like a huge public store room anyone can store anything and work but you cannot see the things stored by others.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Ya....biggie data lost may be a problem,but if we are looking for something smart then it is a good option.If they are able to recover the data then we don't have to care about our storage and system crash,and as a profit we will get a speedy system.
  • safwan
    safwan
    I have also read in visual studio Magazine about this ? I have also same doubt about this keeping data on internet .
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    What is your doubt?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I personally wouldn't keep all my data in a cloud. Perhaps I'll keep some if it requires my to access it away from my home, like documents.

I wouldn't encourage heavy usage of cloud tech. Yes, it will save your own costs, but maintaining clouds with fault tolerances uses a lot of power in the end. Its not like you can switch them "off". Think about aggregate power savings , instead of just yourself 😀

In terms of network reliability, I guess its too premature to rely on online backup with current speeds. Trying to quickly access 500gb of data is going to be quite a burden, and certainly a waste of bandwidth efficiency. HDD is still cheap, and with SSDs going into mainstream, offline back up is still the preferred method choice.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    You have surely given some strong points Ash

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The much awaited Nokia N900 is now available to users in the US. With the launch of N900, Nokia brings a powerful computer running on the dynamic, Linux-based Maemo platform....
Phone Remote Control 5.2 with WiFi support (free to try) Turn your Bluetooth or WiFi enabled mobile phone into a generic PC Remote Control! - Control iTunes, PowerPoint, Mouse, WinAMP,...
hi...everyone.. laughing makes a man healthy ...and it is a free medicine so you should always keeping smiling ... check this link and smile... [youtube]77bxPtMsgFs[/youtube]tags YouTube - Gabbar
You can connect to your own work computer from home, let’s look at ways to connect with other people at other computers. NetMeeting is an old standby for communicating over...
Source: China, India and Japan Fuel Rapid Growth in Asia Pacific Internet Audience - comScore, Inc In September 2009, the Internet population in the Asia-Pacific region reached 484 million visitors...