Job Hopping Or Company Loyalty : What Works In The Long Term?

There are mostly two types of engineers I've come across throughout my professional career : Job Hoppers and 'The Loyal'. The job hoppers would stay in any company for a period of approximately 2 years before finding a job with a new company. The loyal are the ones who stick the the same company for years and I've few friends who haven't changed their job ever since they got placed right after college.

The rewards (both long term and short terms) for both these categories of engineers are different. I want to ask what works the best in the longer run; being a job hopper or being a loyal company employee?

Replies

• Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    A huge round of applause to Big_K for bringing out such a debate in CE forum😀. I was in the same dilemma and have talked with people of both the categories.
    My bro for example is staying in the same company and he was saying about a comfortable work atmosphere in his company which made him to stay there itself. He said, he was very happy with the work culture and people around him which made him to stay in the same company eventhough his salary is not the same as his peers, who hopped companies. He says he still gets opportunities from other companies with better figures than the one who had hopped before him.
    Recently i had talked with an employee in my office who had stayed for more than 7 years in the company and when i enquired about the same, he said it was more because of the power he was getting inside the company which made him stay. He said that when a proposal came forward on a project, his decisions had more weightage than the ones who had hopped into the company. He said the respect generated out of the experience in the same company was more satisfactory than the money generated out of the hopping. He also said that, as time goes, the salary also becomes the same as that got for the hoppers.

I have also seen people who have hopped the company and have gone onsite once getting into the new company. They say its the trend and its kind of a bad image on the profile if you couldn't hop into a new company.

So i too want to hear on the same problem from everyone else as well.....
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have a feeling that the job-hoppers are the dissatisfied lot (which I think is perfectly alright.) But when most of them do it for 'Quick-Money', its bad in the long run.

Staying in the same company is possible if you 'love' the work you do. I think it is very difficult for most of the employees owing to the distractions offered in various dimensions.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We have a lot of regular CEans who are employed.
    Your views on this thread please.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, waiting for more responses 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Small Talk Link: https://www.crazyengineers.com/ravi-pandit-ceo-kpit-cummins-promoting-innovation-in-industry/ We give special thanks to CEan – Ishan for his efforts and Mr. Vijayasarathi Vinjimoor (Gutenberg Communications) for his support in making this Small Talk possible....
Our interest levels in engineering don't remain constant. From dreams of finding new proprietary methods of producing aldehydes and oil exploration to a steady stream of CAT books while learning...
Looks like the much awaited Android 4.0.4 firmware upgrade is now rolling out over the air for Motorola Xoom WiFi version. The owners of Motorola Xoom WiFi should quickly head...
CEans, if you face any issues with the system keeping you logged in; please post them here. Please make sure that you can repeat the issues and provide us detailed...
Our Ex-mod-squad member and CE-Star MaRo celebrates his birthday today. We wish you a very happy birthday MaRo. 🎉