Is Pure Mathematics dying a slow death in India?

An Article in the Times of India says:

The ongoing Search: Latest News, Videos and Photos of Search | Times of IndiaSearch: Latest News, Videos and Photos of Search | Times of IndiaSearch: Latest News, Videos and Photos of Search | Times of India (ICM) in the city may have created an atmosphere for highbrow mathematical discussions, but the country's math maestros feel that pure math is dying a slow death. With the young generation opting for applied sciences over pure math studies, the number of takers for the subject in the country has over the past few decades reduced by half, Indian mathematicians attending the congress opined.

"The best students of maths at school and Intermediate college level opt for engineering courses and hence the number of talented people opting for maths studies have gone down tremendously. This has affected the quality of student research in the subject," said T K V Iyengar, one of the delegates from the country and author of several books on mathematics.

It is becoming a common trait that, if a student has interest in Biology, he/she opts for Medical Field and if it is Maths, then its engineering.

...So CEans, what do you have to say about this? Is nobody opting for Pure Mathematics? No more Ramanujans in the country? ๐Ÿ˜”

โ€‹

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    Ya it is very true that year by year no of graduates with pure mathematics goes on decreasing and i think in future it also goes on decreasing.
    I think the reason is that now every one is opting for B.tech because it is overall package what a professional needs and no one is interested for research work and for the research they are preferring for P.hD after completing their M.tech.And now engineering is becoming a passion.
    And yes it is also very true that maths is the base for the engineering ,without mathematics there is no existence for engineering which gives a proper definition to the engineering.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Guyz i don't think mathematicians are dying they are just reduced because we are not providing them a quality job of their kind. Most people after graduating with mathematics prefer research but in reality we don't have upper hand in research jobs nor we are trying for it and also not paying them good. When there so many problems like this why they will prefer to do graduation in mathematics, they will better it as hobby and do their graduation i any other field. So far as i know there are several people around us who solve mathematical problems just as their hobbies nothing else. I have seen many people have nothing to do with Maths graduation but are incredibly good in mathematics and as a part time they even take tuitions. The lack of good jobs have kept them away from Mathematics Graduations but from from Mathematics.

And after reading about Ramanujan i think he was not actually a Maths Scholar but was suffering from a Obsessive disorder for Mathematics , because he was zero in any other subject than mathematics and their are many such students in India who suffer from same disease are able to solve graduate level mathematics at age of 5-6 but are zero in any other subject.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    But i think if some one really interested in research work on particular field it is either maths, physics, chemistry or any other field then he/she definitely prefer doing graduation on that particular field rather than doing engineering in which he/she is interested.
    It totally depends upon the interest and the confidence of doing something new in which he/she is interested.And those who are in fear of not getting job after graduation then they will not prefer doing graduation, they definitely give preference to engineering than graduation.
  • Leo
    Leo
    It just depends on point of view, so far as i know, to do research work on mathematics you don't need anything else than a Geometry Box, a paper, pen and of course interest. They may graduate in Mathematics field that doesn't matter just because they don't want to go out from our country for research work and for your kind information no matter how much you love the subject a little money for your love to subject will not make life better for your families, it will make only your life better just because you love it, there are many things to look after than just your interest.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Ya you are right but there are many people who ignore their families even leave their families just because of their interest of doing something new in any field and they are really creating and giving something new to this world.And even most of the people do not marry for the same so no question of family here.I have seen lots of such cases.So i think it totally depends upon the passion and level of interest the individual have.
    I think we have not to forget that today what we all are learning and studying is the creation of those type of people and it is continuing...
  • Leo
    Leo
    I agree with you but we can't ignore the fact we need a family, passion may lead to success but a success without beloved one is like a ocean without water. You need people around you as family.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi ppl, I am new here ( i just joined) lol ๐Ÿ˜›... Basically, i want to study electric/electronic engineering.. so, i want to know since most engineers are guys, will...
hey everyone, i'm super new in here and i would like to know more about engineering.... ๐Ÿ˜Ž
how do you edit your signature?? help... i searched just about everywhere.... ๐Ÿ˜ก
is it possible to make a beam mechanically unconditionally balanced? It is very easy to do so by the use of magnets (1st pic), but is it possible to make...
hi there.... i just wanna know whether we can forward outgoing calls from 1 number to another in cell phones....is it possible...???