Is Microsoft 'Cool' Again?

There were times when Microsoft was the coolest companies in the silicon valley. The company single handedly dominated all the software business with its operating system, office productivity suite, server software, messaging, Internet browser (IE) and so on. But in the past decade, Microsoft's crown was stolen by the likes of Google and Apple. Microsoft became 'uncool'.

The PC is uncool, but Macs are cool. Microsoft Zune was uncool but iPod was cool. Windows was uncool and uBuntu (and other Unix flavours) are cool. IE was a disaster but Chrome and Firefox were uber cool.

But the recent change of leadership and some of the latest steps by Microsoft indicate that the company is changing. I'm quite impressed by what Microsoft's working on - Windows 10 looks promising and technologies like HoloLens are definitely COOL!

Do you think Microsoft is cool again; or at least on the way of becoming cool again?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    To be fair Microsoft is trying its best to become cool in a market overrun with established brands that are much cooler than it. We begin the proceedings with the personal computing. Microsoft is offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade just like Apple’s OSX. The Redmond giant finally got tired of all the jokes related to Internet Explorer and worked on Spartan, but I doubt that it will replace Google Chrome that has become the crowd favourite overtaking Mozilla Firefox. The people who use Windows Phone smartphones will the ones who benefit from Spartan browser.

Next we arrive in the smartphone market. Microsoft managed to bag the coolest mobile phone maker by paying peanuts. Nokia was a phone maker who made not just cool phones but good ones as well. History knows that they have made the coolest handsets ever. The problem now lies in the fact that Microsoft is playing it safe with its smartphone department. Nokia lost money because they did not care what other phone makers were making and at what price. The Finnish guys just went mad with their design and made a phone as good as possible never caring what it cost, just like the now defunct Swedish car maker, Saab. If Microsoft makes some good hardware and for once pays attention to its app store it can become a brand that does not have huge numbers like Xiaomi but a loyal fan following like Apple or erstwhile Nokia.

Finally to the other gadget department, wearables. The ideas like HoloLens are cool but the products will take almost decade to achieve popularity. Microsoft’s first attempt at wearables (Microsoft Band) has bombed and there is no chance of recovery. Good things might happen to Microsoft. For example it is financing Cyanogen. The last time Cyanogen was financed by someone they provided their OS to it. Referring to the time Micromax tied up with Cyanogen.

Summary: Microsoft becoming cool, not anytime soon.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    'Cool' is a subjective term and hence can have different meaning to different people.
    To me, cool in technology is something with freedom of customization, that's why OpenSource softwares are cool. 😀
    Another criteria for cool (as per me), is something 'new and unique' , and given the potential that MS has, it can go ahead with amazing projects, only problem is, they don't take risks which are not profit oriented, whereas on the other hand, Google does so, and hence is cool, (eg. Project Loon). Again what is cool for me could be lame for someone else, but still, as said in above post, not anytime soon 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, 'open sourcing' doesn't alway mean that it'll be popular among the developers. iOS and OSX are both closed source and yet they continue to get huge number of developers to build apps on the platform. Plus - iOS and OSX make more money to the developers than other rival operating systems.

Satya Swaroop Dash
    If Microsoft makes some good hardware and for once pays attention to its app store it can become a brand that does not have huge numbers like Xiaomi but a loyal fan following like Apple or erstwhile Nokia.
    Agreed. I think Microsoft's going to make strategic investments in the open source domain as well as continue to develop their Lumia range of devices. Lumia has the potential to be cool - but Microsoft will have to rethink its marketing strategy. The 'cool kids' will soon get bored of Androids and the iOS. No wonder Microsoft hopped on to making investments in custom Android ROM and has already began releasing software for Android. Outlook for Android is already being considered as the 'best app for gmail' on Android!

Satya Swaroop Dash
    The ideas like HoloLens are cool but the products will take almost decade to achieve popularity.
    I doubt it will take a decade. They already have a hot selling gaming platform in the form of XBOX. I won't be surprised if they get developers to build games that make some smart use of HoloLens. That could be a game changer and serious threat to Sony.

I believe things would change drastically in the next 2-3 years. For decade is a century in the technology world 😀 .
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, 'open sourcing' doesn't alway mean that it'll be popular among the developers. iOS and OSX are both closed source and yet they continue to get huge number of developers to build apps on the platform. Plus - iOS and OSX make more money to the developers than other rival operating systems.
    Really ? LOL!
    Linaro, XDA Developers, SUSE, Red Hat, Intel, AMD, Texas Instruments, Free Scale, Free Electrons, Renesas, Google, Samsung, IBM, Cisco, Qualcomm, Nvidia, ARM, Broadcomm, Wolfson, Valve, QT, etc. are contributing in opensource development and you're saying 'opensource' is not popular among developers ?
    These company's developers are not earning more than iOS and OS X 'App developers' ? Nice claim pal! Keep it up 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I repeat my words:
    'open sourcing' doesn't alway mean that it'll be popular among the developers.
    ...and that's all it means. Quoting successful open-source examples isn't helping. I know you are an open-source fanboy and that stops further arguments. Refer: #-Link-Snipped-# - and that's the only point I wanted to make.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I repeat my words:
    ...and that's all it means. Quoting successful open-source examples isn't helping. I know you are an open-source fanboy and that stops further arguments. Refer: #-Link-Snipped-# - and that's the only point I wanted to make.
    You can be fanboy of company/product/device but you cannot be fanboy of a 'movement', remember that. It's not about 'free things', it's about 'Freedom'. Using proprietary software is like purchasing a house, a house in which you're not allowed to change anything as you want. Even though you paid for it you don't have control over it.
    I do respect proprietary softwares when it comes to 'Games' genre though, as it's one hella tough shit they're doing. That's the only reason I don't mind using proprietary games in my PC/Laptop.

Why I am debating here in CE ? I must be high!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It depend what customer you are. If you are for office solutions/PC games/XBox stuff Microsoft is already cool. Next thing is Microsoft HoloLens, which looks quite cool.

Abhishek Rawal
    I do respect proprietary softwares when it comes to 'Games' genre though, as it's one hella tough shit they're doing.
    So you are saying, building OS and office solutions are simple.
    Their integration is amazingly seamless.
    Yes, everybody loves to have control over what they are purchasing. But these two things are different one player build base modal not to open source and other does.
    In current market, No matter what Microsoft does, they aren't taking the market of server side (Linux) and DB (Oracle) , and no matter other player innovate, give free stuff or open source no one seems to compete MS office solutions.

I scrapped Windows and switched to Ubuntu for development. Because it is fast, reliable and never crashes. I don't know why but Windows OS is slow like hell for dev.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With an aim to provide no-wire workplace and to increase the productivity of businesses of all sizes, the Multinational Corp. Intel has announced the arrival of 5th generation Intel Core...
Sterlite Technologies, India's only fully integrated Optical Fiber manufacturer and also one of the largest exporters to a major chunk of Asia and Europe, has single handedly delivered nearly 40%...
I read something about the pressure of air in combustion chamber during intake in an engine. For natural aspirated engines it is about 1-1.2 bar. For turbo and super charged...
plz check d following code 😔 [sookie] dropdown.jsp <%@page contentType="text/html" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>