Is IT is the best field for money making for a engineer.

Since last 6-7 years, I am observing a trend, "No matter from which branch student completes his/her technical education (Engineering), he/she want a job in IT industry due to facinating / hefty pay packages"

Is this observations is correct?? If yes, upto what extent?? Don't you think that students are wasting there precious 4 years educational knowledge??

Also, please let us know from which branch you have done engineering? and in which field you are working?? Are you justifying with your engineering knowledge??

I am starting from my own experience.:

Engineering Done: Structural
Working in: IT industry

-CB

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nice debate topic!

What you mentioned applies to most of the engineers from Indian subcontinents. I'm not sure if its true all over the world.

There's a solid reason behind it. The difference between the dollar and currency of developing countries is phenomenal. Every dollar outsourced becomes ~50 Rupees in India. That's why the salaries software engineers get are quite higher than salaries offered to fresh electrical/electronic/civil/structural engineers.

But is IT the best field? No.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    well I am doing computer science and engineering and currently i am not working in any organization since i am a 3rd year year student
    and when i join cse I have no idea of using computer and any knowledge about it...and i was pressurized by my parents to join this
    but today i think that at that time they took right decision for me
    and i think IT is best money making field ..since there are lot of oppurtunities in this field and i personally think with computer you have never to be job dependent....ie my personal opinion only
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    It depends, whether the country has invested in or has set up technology incubators based on specific industries and resources (both human and natural), etc.

In oil rich nations, chemical/petroleum engineers are one of the most highly paid engineers. For other countries, biotechnology is the "in" thing.

The consequence of IT outsourcing business in India, that itself will cause the IT field in countries such as the US to be less attractive. Gohm could confirm this, but its the civil and mechanical (including aerospace) trades that are the top ones in the US now.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Actually i have a brother who had completed his engineering in MECHANICAL and now he is working in a software company as a Software engineer...

But i really don't understand the logic behind these things!!!
  • clarence456
    clarence456
    Hiiiiii!!! Nice post.My brother is doing computer science and engineering and currently he is not working in any organization since he is a 3rd year student
    and when he join cse he has no idea of using computer and any knowledge about it...and he was pressurized by parents to join this but today he think that at that time they took right decision for him.and he think IT is best money making field ..since there are lot of oppurtunities in this field and he personally think with computer you have never to be job dependent....i.e his personal opinion only and my also.

yes , I believe specially in India but if you are in Gulf country liks KSA then its petrochemical engineering because of Oil Domination. Now a days nuclear engineering is also money making . ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The term "virtualization" was coined in the 1960s, to refer to a virtual machine (sometimes called pseudo machine). The very first Implementation of Virtualization was being done before 30 years...
As we all know CAT 2009 is online this time. This thread is dedicated to the CAT 2009 takers. Please share your preprations / methods of preprations for the CAT...
Orange has won the rights to sell the Apple iPhone in the UK, ending O2's two-year exclusive agreement with the technology group. The French-owned group is to sell the smartphone...
Happy Birthday to ... ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ niteshranjan, starkhiladi, prashanth.vs, parihar888, pharmasarathi, nastynicky, stalwart_sandeep, AMITBOSE, upamanyu, jay_dave ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Enjoy B'day... -CB
First off, I'm assuming that Linux and all its flavors didn't do as well as they should have done. Everyone agrees that UNIX is a better piece of software and...