IR Switching.

Hello all,

I have been trying to teach myself about microcontrollers and the like. I am at a bit of a loss though. Your help would be great.

I have a project where i would like to use IR to turn on/off a 3 watt LED.
The remote would need to be small (like the size of a watch) and the reciever would need to fit in an aluminum tube that is a 1 1/4 diameter. There will be a hole in the tube for proper LOS of the IR. These all will need to be power with batteries. The IR receiver will be activating a relay switch because the 3 watt will draw more power than the reciever set up (i would imagine)

I was at first looking at basic microcontrollers suchs as Motorola/freescale, AVR, and PIC. Then I stumbled upon the motorola encoders/decoders.

We are sorry but you have encountered an error

MC145026P Encoder Motorola | Jameco Electronics

So my question is should I go with microcontrollers or the encoder/decoders. I would think the encoder/decoders but would i still need to do some programming or are they precoded to work with one another? or is there a better way to do it?

Thank you all very much in advance.

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    buddy,we can do it with a 8051 microcontroller and IR decoder.no need of high-end Micorcontrollers or encoder/decoder.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Intel Microcontroller,8xc series...is the perfect match for what i underrstand for the said project
  • mkaras
    mkaras
    Also consider that if you put a small MCU behind the IR receiver it can do the decoding in FW and then drive the output to control the lamp driver. For simplicity in your IR source (the transmitter end) consider using one of many cheaply available universal remote controls. This way you can avoid even having to build that portion.

Here is a link to one such example:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So here comes a new puzzle for everyone.... you have to use the mathematical operators in between the numbers to get the correct output.... 1 1 1 =6 2 2...
hi, could anybody help me out with this problem?😔 what happens when the value of bypass capacitance and coupling capacitance in an amplifier changes?What is its effect on reducing the...
CEans, Spam is a universal problem. There have been lot of discussions & techniques around to fight the spam. Its easy to control the computer bots that spam, but what...
hi friends:smile:, what are all the top universities in Singapore,US and UK offering MS in electrical stream:?::?::?: What and where are the best centres in chennai offering classes for GRE,TOFEL...