Installing Linux : Is my system capable?

guys i want to install linux on my pc can anyone tell me how shud i begin from installation to commands whether my pc supports linux ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    summers
    guys i want to install linux on my pc can anyone tell me how shud i begin from installation to commands whether my pc supports linux ๐Ÿ˜
    Installing Linux is not at all difficult. By the way, what's your system configuration and which flavor of Linux are you installing?

PS: There's always a version of linux that will run on the 2000ish machines ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • summers
    summers
    the thing is that i dont know which version to install i heard my friend running into an hard drive crash when he installed ubuntu
    system config:
    p-4 1.8 ghz
    40 gb hard disk
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    summers
    the thing is that i dont know which version to install i heard my friend running into an hard drive crash when he installed ubuntu
    system config:
    p-4 1.8 ghz
    40 gb hard disk
    Ubuntu should install on P-IV, with 256 MB memory. If you have problems, you may try one of the following :-

1. Choose the live CD option at the time of booting [Boot from CD/DVD]
    2. Use Damn Small Linux: Directly boot from USB drive.
    Should you want to install the OS on your hard drive, run the graphical installer mode. You will get an option to perform system check before you being the install.

Have you performed the check?

PS: While posting your query, do provide all the information, steps taken, errors found etc. It helps others help you.
  • ttyX
    ttyX
    Why don't you just visit DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. and see for yourself
  • Ashutosh_shukla
    Ashutosh_shukla
    I want to know how crash may occur during linux installation. Also please tell me is it the case that linux can be installed iff the motherboard is compatible with it?I may be asking stupid questions but can anyone clear my doubts?
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    Hi Ashutosh..... don't think any question as silly..... Just Ask them and gain knowledge :smile:

there is nothing to do.... with Motherboard when you are installing Linux ...

Probably crashing of the system is due to not configuring the Grub loader properly while installation ... i probably think so...not pretty sure ๐Ÿ˜”

to know more about GRUB .... visit this link u will get detailed Information
    Link : Gnu Grub
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ah!!

i guess I can say something..

When I installed linux (susie) , grub could not retrive my VISTA booting details because of which, I could open only linux! and acess my documents form C drive!!!

and one fine day I dont know why I tried installing skype and evrything crashed!!!๐Ÿ˜” I still dont know the reason for it!!

Again I am with Billgates!!! ๐Ÿ˜
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    durga
    @Durga

Really i appreciate your patience :clap: :clap:
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    ah!!

i guess I can say something..

When I installed linux (susie) , grub could not retrive my VISTA booting details because of which, I could open only linux! and acess my documents form C drive!!!

and one fine day I dont know why I tried installing skype and evrything crashed!!!๐Ÿ˜” I still dont know the reason for it!!

Go with uBuntu. ๐Ÿ˜€ Its a great piece of software.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    anuragh27crony
    @Durga

Really i appreciate your patience :clap: :clap:
    yeah yeah!!

thank you!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I hope you must have noticed the thread tags feature newly introduce to CE. Thread tags are the keywords that can be used to identify the discussion and help...
The title says it, looking to hire a small group of final year students lead by experienced faculty, to take my concept device to a working prototype. Multidisciplinary expertise needed;...
This thread is deleted by me- dont want "Tech info" to be in a Junkyard!
hi , anybody who reads this please tell me wher can i find jsdk2.0 servlet runner for download bcos my exams r nearing n i ve to practice my java...
hi,i m second yr mechanical engg student..can anyone pls tell me about the jobs and companies regarding mechatronics nad control systems..??