Inside a calculator

HELLO,
I am an electronics and communication engineer persuing third year.I opened a calculator and was amused to find that it contains only a lcd, a chip and a ciruit layout that helps in the input through the keypad.Now my mind is boggling as to what is there in that chip that makes a calculator work.There may be some programming about which I am sure. But I want a detailed information as to how all this happens. Can some one help me please.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    In general words , Calculator works on the calculations using logic gates.
    It involves CMOS (Complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor) Technology for the circuit.
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    Ya I am aware of that. I have found out that a small IC is attched to the chip which stores the programming. But the model i opened had the circuit made on a polythene like structure and the circuit was painted with black similar to a layout on a PCB. I still want to know the detailed working.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    you can design a basic calculator using logical gates rite?
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    thats right. But what about the plastic material on which the circuit is drawn. How signals move through that?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    nenuadwani
    thats right. But what about the plastic material on which the circuit is drawn. How signals move through that?
    Are you talking about the printed circuit board?
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @aj-No buddy...he is already aware of a PCB.In fact he expected to find a PCB inside but instead found a black polythylene-like material.
    @nenu-The small chip that you are mentioning is the microcontroller IC. Was that black material between the numeric keypad & the chip?
  • patsham
    patsham
    you can show us the picture of that circuit so that we can help you.
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    shreyasm- you are ryt. I expected a pcb, infact i got a pcb based circuit also in other calculators. but the model i opened first didnt had a pcb. the whole circuit was on polythene just lyk it would have been on a pcb.
    i will try providing a picture of that circuit. no the ic is on the chip itself.
  • ITPROFESSIONAL
    ITPROFESSIONAL
    these all are PLC's
  • Van Helsing
    Van Helsing
    I was aware that a PLC (programmable logic controller) was a computer inside application, not vice versa. ๐Ÿ˜•

The "all plastic" inside with embedded IC's under polimeric black glue drops is the china-way of making things cheaper. A PCB is made of polymer/glass fiber board with copper wiring layers. The plastic PCB (Poly Carbonate) or other, with carbon wiring layer is a cheaper more flexible way of making PCB's. And thinner too. The cost of a microprocessor or a digital integrated circuit is mainly connections and body. For very large production scale is cheaper to mount IC's directly on the PCB alas protected by a glue drop.
    Obviusly, under the drop you'll find gold wires connections to carbo-something circuit threads to an fro keyboards and LCD display, and a chip wich holds a microprocessor usually 4 bit wide, a RAM a ROM and an I/O logic as usual in a microcomputer. The ROM holds the software for making the calculator ... calculating. ๐Ÿ˜’
    Cheers...
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    I am thankful to all for clearing my doubts. Now I am clear about what I actually saw inside that calculator.
    Thanks a lot crazy engineers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've had highest number of users online today - 614! ๐Ÿ˜ . Our earlier record was 581 users online created on November 16, 2008 ๐Ÿ˜ Way to go CEans! We...
Greetings fellow engineers and wanabee's, not sure if I am an engineer or a wanabe! Been doing the Civil Engineering stuff for years, others say i'm good, me, i'm not...
If the total sales for a business in a certain year were $ 150,000 , what were sales in June, if June sales were half the monthly average ? A)...
what does an independent current source contain in practical,means how an independent current source is made in reality???
I need to make all the permutations of a string's characters........how do i do this..... tiill now what i was doing was allot a digit to each character.....start from 999999......n...