Innovation in Umbrella Design - Suggestions Please!

The common umbrella sucks. No matter how we look at it, everything is wrong with its design. When the rains come lashing from right and left and back and front, that old umbrella design is of little or no use at all! Innovation in Umbrella is something that I think all engineers should think about. Why is that we are still using that age old design. The basic design of the umbrella hasn't changed for centuries, so the time is ripe for to make it more suitable to modern world.

Sometimes they just blow inside out! When you are traveling in crowds, the sharp edges just poke you. I am scared of my eye getting bruised all the time. Plus, with great feats of design, engineering, architecture happening, why are we outlooking one of this basic needs.

Something like this would really help -

innovationra

Or even this -

1671088-slide-rain-shield-41

I think I have made my point. We all need suggestions to come up with a superior design of the modern umbrella. Let us call them the Rain Shields. Not just for protection, let us rack our brains about how we can make these rain sheilds multi-purpose.

Let your comments follow.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have a question, lets think on why the old design is made that way, what are the advantages?

We all know the disadvantages but lets concentrate on advantages. The older ones are stable for medium wind flows. If the wind flow is high then we have to be strong enough to hold it!

Moreover, it covers all the sides if the rainfall is not of a greater different angle.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# You're right. I am surprised to see no responses here.
    Don't you guys ever feel troubled by the umbrella? 👀 Or is it raincoats that took over the umbrella long back?
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    Umbrellas should have Bluetooth and should be able to connect to mobile. Once it get out of proximity, It should trigger the alarm. That's because I lost only one umbrella in my lifetime and that was my favorite one.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I once saw a design somewhere I dont recall. That umbrella was dark on its spherical surface. It has a complete transparent plastic wall attached to its fringes making a block like a STD booth. Nothing goes in or out. So even if you are wearing fancy clothes, they wont even take a minute spot of dirt from on going traffic. It looks like a moving plastic booth. I will try search its pic.

EDIT: This one right here.

images
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A smaller umbrella (Can stand high winds) with this type of water proof unisuit (Different design for women) might do:
    [​IMG]
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well people find it hard to carry stuff with them selves in their bags

But if you can get a cloth sticking to your body then it is really a body and as SIr said the water proof dresses are more boon than traditional umbrella
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Just when we though things couldn't get any better (or did we?) here is the most perfect Umbrella design I've seen in years -

Designed by Hiroshi Kajimoto, this is not UMBRELLA, it is UNBRELLA.
    Because it operates exactly up-side down!
    it's a rather ingenious take on an object that's undergone little change in centuries of history. Because of its upside-down orientation, the Unbrella can actually stand upright, plus its reverse opening makes it easier to extend in windy conditions.

Here is a photo -

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 2.40.15 PM
  • alok81112
    alok81112
    Ankita Katdare
    Just when we though things couldn't get any better (or did we?) here is the most perfect Umbrella design I've seen in years -

Designed by Hiroshi Kajimoto, this is not UMBRELLA, it is UNBRELLA.
    Because it operates exactly up-side down!
    it's a rather ingenious take on an object that's undergone little change in centuries of history. Because of its upside-down orientation, the Unbrella can actually stand upright, plus its reverse opening makes it easier to extend in windy conditions.

Here is a photo -

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 2.40.15 PM
    engineering sucks......u can read as much theory as u want.....wat u gonna do after dis....u wil write ur sem exams nd forgot all bulshit......tasteless engineering....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    alok81112
    engineering sucks......u can read as much theory as u want.....wat u gonna do after dis....u wil write ur sem exams nd forgot all bulshit......tasteless engineering....
    Not really, we wouldn't be interacting via Internet if engineering was that boring.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    alok81112
    I beg to disagree.
    I have been one since 1960. Even now I am using the electrochemical technology that was my engineering specialization as a student.
    Engineering is the most exciting thing in my opinion. Engineers move the world, even if it is a virtual world.

What bothers me is why one would do engineering if there was no liking for it. Engineering theory is like a building's foundation. You need one even if what comes on top is a Taj Mahal or a pay and use toilet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG Electronics is building up the excitement for its new launch event. Scheduled for 7th of August, LG is all set to launch the LG G2 smartphone in this mega...
Hi ! i am looking for a clutch plate manufacturer/ supplier in Delhi/Ncr. Can any one suggest me from where I can get it ?
Hi ! I am looking for a clutch plate manufacturer / supplier in Delhi/ncr . Can any one suggest from where I can get it?
Just read nice thread by Ankita: https://www.crazyengineers.com/threads/innovation-in-umbrella-design-suggestions-please.69384/ Being inspired from her thread, here's another thread. I don't have any problem in getting wet, i don't use Umbrellas or Raincoats at...
Meet Rubbee - the small unit capable of turning any regular bike into a powered 'electric bike'. Ideal for those who don't want to own a full-fledged electric bike but...