India Develop world,s cheapest touchscreen computing device(Tablet)

India Develops world's cheapest touchscreen computing device(Tablet)

India has developed a touchscreen computing device which will cost only $35. According to a press release by India’s Press Information Bureau, the price is expected to drop even further, first to $20 and ultimately to a mere $10.

The reports about the device’s hardware vary greatly; all we can say for sure is that it’s portable and has a touchscreen, which pretty much makes it a tablet.

According to Indian Express it has a 5/7/9 inch touchscreen(it looks like a 7-incher) and on the software side, it sports a web browser, PDF reader, office software, media player as well as multimedia input/output capabilities, video conferencing (it must have a camera, then) and remote device management capability – all of it open-source and Linux-based.

Whatever hardware is running this thing, it’s ready for production, according to India’s human resource development minister Kapil Sibal. “We have reached a (developmental) stage that today; the motherboard, its chip, the processing, connectivity, all of them cumulatively cost around $35, including memory, display, everything,”he said.

The device, should be available to consumers sometime in 2011.

What do you think is it really a great achievement for INDIA.

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Oh!! realy.
    What a information sus.
    Here india starts rocking in tech world.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I hope this is true. India had earlier announced a $100 laptop!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What do you think ' is internet affecting traditional journalism'? Is really internet affecting their business,their publishing formats...
I have wireless sensors that can transmitt real time data back to a centralized computer where the readings are stored in a database. The data is also checked against threshold...
Hello everybody, I am a B.E(EEE) 2010 passed out graduate and is looking for a job.But most of the job profile require some special courses. I have thought of automation,...
Hello friends, Currently i am using ubuntu 10.04 and want to install java on it. Can anyone have some idea which packages i have to install. I realy need it...
What do you think ? The worldwide reach of TV is reducing cultural differences or not. 😁😁