increase of compression ratio

can we increase the compression ratio of petrol?will the petrol can be sprayed in two stroke engine.?

Replies

• blacrobous
    blacrobous
    if that would have been possible then i dont think they would use carburator for air fuel mixture??
  • 4d1
    4d1
    vb_austin
    can we increase the compression ratio of petrol?will the petrol can be sprayed in two stroke engine.?
    Higher compression ratios will make gasoline(petrol) engines subject to engine knocking and this will reduce an engine's efficiency or even physically damage it.

CR in a gasoline/petrol powered engine will usually not be much higher than 10:1 except for engines meant for racing purposes
    racing engines do not have a long life span !!

p.s.
    *higher compression ratio requires a high octane fuel
  • vinitk
    vinitk
    vb_austin
    Ans: Increase of compression ratio can lead to knocking.Knocking in petrol engines is pre-ignition of fuel-air mixture(i.e. before the piston reaches the T.D.C. the fuel-air mixture self ignites).
    Octane number of the fuel is the limiting factor.Hence to increase the compression ratio u should use a fuel with higher octane number.

Nowadays in cars fuel is directly injected into the cylinder by a nozzle.
    Carburation is now obsolete in case of 4 stroke petrol engines.
  • manju_badri
    manju_badri
    yes! we can use higher CR in si engines if we use higher octane rating fuel .still it can't be as high as CI engine CR(25:1)
  • mech.sasikumar
    mech.sasikumar
    yes, mostly all modern vehicles are having pressurised injectors for spraying petrol inside the cylinder so increasing compression ratio wont affect fuel spray..
  • namit.sahu
    namit.sahu
    vb_austin
    by using a nozzle of different types we can increase or decrease the compression ratio..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I met poples (Computer technicians) they said to me WIndows vista is failure and slow ie. they are releasing windows 7 . Is it true ?? but 😀 I like...
hello all, did anyone work on netcat?? 😎
CEans, CE's undergoing critical maintenance work & over the next two days, CE might be temporarily unavailable. Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause. Comment on this announcement in the...
Discuss the announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/28739-possible-downtime-notice.html in this thread.
sir, i am currently doing my b.tech second year(mechanical engineering). i wish to do my internship in the coming summer break(2010) itself. however we do have an advantage of having...