IBM Ponder This Challenge: December 2009

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Let x be a 25-bit number, such that Πi=110(x&mi) is a nontrivial integer power (nk, n and k are integers, n>0 and k>1); where "&" stands for the Boolean bitwise AND function and the 10 hexadecimal masks mi are {0x1f, 0x3e0, 0x7c00, 0xf8000, 0x1f00000, 0x108421, 0x210842, 0x421084, 0x842108, 0x1084210}.
Find the minimal number of mask questions needed to find x, where a mask question m is asking whether (x&m) is zero.
It can be shown that, in our case, if x is known to be in a subset whose size is at most 4, then 2 mask questions would suffice to find it.
Submit your answer as a N-2 mask questions which when asked together (e.g. asking the third question without knowing the answer to the first two), would divide the set of possible numbers x into subsets of no more than 4 numbers each. You need not specify the last two which are composed based on the previous answers.
Update 12/04: The product should be an integer power of a *prime* number. Sorry for that and thanks for all the devoted solvers who tried the misleading version.
Update 12/09: Though x is a 25-bit number, it does not necessarily start with a leading 1.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Source: IBM Research | Ponder This | January 2010 challenges Present a computation whose result is 5, being a composition of commonly used mathematical functions and field operators (anything from...
if D.C. supply of two positive terminals gifven to the D.C. motor, what action takes place ?
Hi everybody, I have a GPS module which is connected to my PC through Serial Port. Using VB 2008 Express Edition, data received from my GPS model can be displayed...
hello.. do we have devices which implement the concept of virtual ground for there various operations. like i know about opamp-741IC, do we hav ny other Ic or ny other...
Hello Everyone, Please tell me that can we use user controls in ASP.Net as we can use in Windows Applications. Also I have made a project in Windows Applications of...