Hydrogen !!! THE Best COOLING MEDUIM

[FONT="]Why Hydrogen Gas is the best cooling medium for rotating machines?[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]

[FONT="]
[/FONT]

#-Link-Snipped-#​

Utilization of Hydrogen gas as the cooling medium either for inner-cooled or for conventional type hydrogen cooled units has the following advantages:

1) Hydrogen gas is small in density; therefore decrease windage and ventilation loss.
2) Hydrogen gas has large thermal conductivity and surface heat transfer coefficient, Therefore, the output per unit volume of active material will increase and the limit of maximum practical rating can be made larger than with an air-cooled unit.
3) Freedom from oxygen and moisture results in little corona effect, thereby prolonging the insulation life of the stator coil.
4) Small gas density and closed ventilating system will reduce noise.
5) Hydrogen-cooled machine is convenient for converting into an outdoor type.

-Common gases which are much lighter than air are (hydrogen and helium). Although helium is inert non-flammable, and an ideal medium for ventilating purposes, it cannot be obtained in quantities, which makes its price high and makes it unsuitable as cooling medium,
-On the contrary, hydrogen can be obtained rather inexpensively, and it has advantages over helium in having a small density and better thermal characteristics.

[FONT="]SFETY NOTE.[/FONT]
-The intensity of explosion of an air-hydrogen mixture varies with the proportion of the two gases present, and also has to do with the gas pressure.
-A curve on which the values of intensity are plotted against the properties of gases will be approximately a sine wave having zero values at (4 % and 75 % hydrogen), and reaching a maximum intensity in between.
-So we have to take care:-
*Hydrogen and air should never be mixed.
*Carbon dioxide should be used as an intermediate gas when changing air to hydrogen, or from hydrogen to air.
*When charging gas, provide vent to the atmosphere from generator.

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear Khaled Hamza,
    It is not the first time that I am seeing a very informative post from your side. Have you introduced yourself in CE? Please do if you have not.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Please post your brief introduction here.
  • khaled hamza
    khaled hamza
    Thank you , I will post my brief introduction about me at CE-introductions !!

• Arp
    Arp
    in a power plant we use sealing pump?
    can u tell me its purpose as i'm not sure?
  • khaled hamza
    khaled hamza
    look , my friend
    As we said before ,
    Hydrogen is very dangerous and explosive , if Air % at Hydrogen at a closed chamber is about ( 4 to 75 % ) , this percentage makes explosions , so we should protect and seal the Hydrogen inside the generator from Air.
    Therefore , We use a Hydrogen Sealing Oil System ,this system provide a seal oil by 2 pumps ( AC) and one (D.C.) Pump , the pumped oil is outgoing to a seal oil ring which prevent the air to enter the generator , Also prevent the Hydrogen to com out from the Generator.
    This system is very important , So take care about that , and I will post a new post with attached paper about this system , soon.
    Thank you and at any time we are here !!!
  • Arp
    Arp
    thanks sir!!!
    i'll wait for ur paper..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends, Anybody have idea about how two applet communicate using static members.
I want to know the the difference between Multi-programming and Multi-processing.
Hi guys, i'm trying to make a g force simulator. i trying to recreate the g force that occurs in a fighter jet during its flying. I'm doing design only...
Dear Friends, I wish to learn AJAX. What are the softwares required? I already have .Net 2005. Adv. Thanks, R.Rengaraj
With Google Trends, you can compare the world’s interest in your favorite topics. Enter up to five topics and see how often they’ve been searched on Google over time. Google...