How well do engineers communicate with non engineers?

Engineers are considered to be doers and not talkers. The best they can manage is to sketch something and use monosyllabic jargon in talking to others of the ilk.

But there are times when an inventor has to talk to the investor or the journalist. jargon and technical terms may leave such an audience cold dealing a death blow to potentially win-win ideas.

Is this the general view. Should we introspect on how to talk to Aam Aadhmi (with clout and/or moola)?

Cutting the jargon is key to investor success

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I was in situation few weeks ago where I was supposed to present Routing protocols , benefits and uses to management . But again, i was as well asked to cut the technical jargon to expect more participation.Luckily, i used real time examples to explain routing protocols rather than technical definitions.
    I think this is obvious, engineering people might not understand what non-engineers might be speaking and vice versa, unless specific benefits are put forth (read profits) in understandable language investors might not really be keen on adopting the idea
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If you are talking to a professional who has years of expereince in any field i think it is possible for an engineer to convey his message in word. But he/she has to use words that will build pictures familiar to the person.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This update throws up problems in communications between engineers themselves:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    engineers do sometimes find trouble in communicating, with the laymen. i discovered this when i was teaching my younger brother , to drive. i used terms such as engine torque , engine rpm, and fuel inflow, whenever i tried to tell him that he should apply more pressure on the throttle while travelling uphill, and the result : he was thouroughly confused

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Civil engineering projects have now become major mechanical engineering marvels. Boring a 7.1 m diameter tunnel is mind boggling. We should take pride that engineers can do such tasks. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/1012220.article?cmpid=TE01
Yesterday the day which was most saddest day in my college life. . My 8th sem classes got over. . Going to miss my class rooms, laboratories, mass bunks, group...
2010 / 2011 BTech / MTech Recruitment - 07th April 2012 - Cochin Venue:St. Albert's College, Banerji Road, Ernakulam. Company: Poornam Infovision Role: Software Engineer 2010 / 2011 Batch freshers...
Hey, I am a CS graduate 2012 from a pvt self financing college. And just like many of my classmates i want to be an IITian, badly.. I have a...
Rules:-​​ CEan Registered before 31st March 2012 and having minimum 10 post can vote and only valid Member vote is counted. You can vote only once so be careful. No...