How to improve Reading Speed & Comprehension?

There is so much to read & having a good reading speed helps. I'm sure this thread will have many tips & tricks which will help us improve our reading speed & comprehension.

Let us start by defining a good reading speed. I guess, the good reading speed is around 500 - 800 words per minute. There are 100s of websites dedicated to improving reading speed.

Let us come up with tips & tricks which 'work'.

-The Big K-

Replies

• Jerry
    Jerry
    I never measured my reading speed, but I'm a good reader. I'll let out my tips one by one.

1. Read! Unless you read a lot, you may not expect an improvement in your reading speed and comprehension. This is one master key to good reading skill.

You may start by choosing topics of your interests in newspapers or magazines.

Jerry
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Have to agree with Jerry here. Nothing increases your Reading Speed and Comprehension like more reading. Let it be anything ... books fiction/non-fiction, articiles, magazines, page 3 columns even (ok, I was kidding about the page 3... ) .. but yeah, keep those pages flipping.
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    Second Tip-

Improve your eyesight span. Instead of focusing on one word at a time, try to focus on 3 words (to begin with).

Later, as you are comfortable with reading 3, consider reading 5 words at a time. This will take time, but you are bound to see a great leap in your reading speed.

All the Best!

Jerry
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    We are missing out on the most important point!

Do not verbalize while reading! It will slow you down 100 times!

Of course, keep reading!
  • aashima
    aashima
    Focussing on more than one word at a time can exceedingly improve one's reading speed, no doubt. Try reading same thing more than once. That will let you an increased speed when you have read it a couple of times and the effort rests in an overall increment of the reading speed as well.
  • Neha
    Neha
    A point worth to be mentioned, read newspapers, they help a lot in increasing your reading speed as well as developing a good vocab.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aashima
    Focussing on more than one word at a time can exceedingly improve one's reading speed, no doubt. Try reading same thing more than once. That will let you an increased speed when you have read it a couple of times and the effort rests in an overall increment of the reading speed as well.
    Reading the same text more than once may not solve the purpose. That is because when you read anything which you have already read, you tend to skip the words. Of course the reading speed will vary depending on the type of content you are reading.

-The Big K-
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    I agree!

Agree with Kaustubh.Reading the same matter again and again doesnot improve reading speed nevertheless it becomes less interesting and also waste of time.Instead one should learn to increase concentration be it reading one word or three words or a whole sentence! 😎
  • ish_nalini
    ish_nalini
    hiiiii everybody!!!!!!!!!!

To improve speed::::::::::

• read slowly and steadily few days!!!
    • listen to BBC news or other english news stations!!!
    • dont try urself in a stylish pronounciation at the beginning stage!!!😉
    • hav a seconds clock and read a passage twice😁 or thrice until u gotta satisfied ,better record this may highlight ur thing....
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    First of all , dont be in search on dictonary for new words,

Just read the same set of contents atleast twice,

And try to Repeat in front of your camera or over some stage,

So you can reliaze the speed that you can,

Then sit and read with a Perfect Strategy with dynamic contents

Which improve even the Reading of new words included.

Regards,
    A.SK...😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Online courses from IIT The IITs have taken up an initiative of starting online teaching and thus have started offering course materials online for every engineering stream. -Many professors from...
This small book (it has only 58 pages!) is by the founder of Tripod.com - Bo Peabody. The book talks about secrets to entrepreneurial life. I enjoyed reading the book...
I think November-December is the peak time for GRE Takers. Can we start collecting information about colleges & courses offered? We can even form groups of students applying to the...
It makes perfect sense for us to have debates of technical nature. Now I'm not very sure how good this debate topic is - "Will Google Docs replace Microsoft Word...
This is unbelievable! Put 3-4 Mentos chips in the bottle of Coca Cola & Hurray! You get a big fountain! Check out this YouTube Video! - Click ME I'm scared!...