how to improve communication skills?

hii everybody!
can nybody plz tell me how can i improve my communication skills? ny website ??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    try mindtools

Try visiting Develop your personal wellbeing and career skills - Mind Tools - Mind Tools

For communication skills, visit this - #-Link-Snipped-#

Communication skills has different flavors, are you looking for anything in particular? Please do share with us. πŸ˜€

-The Big K-
  • aditi
    aditi
    thanks for ur advice...
    there is no particular area.. actually i am not good in eng speaking and i have to face interviews in 3-4 months...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do not worry!

thanks for ur advice...
    there is no particular area.. actually i am not good in eng speaking and i have to face interviews in 3-4 months...
    Aditi-

Stop worrying! Just be confident & know the basics! Keep a smilling face & be ready for the interview. They won't really care how you speak.

Don't let the interview suffer just because you are not fluent (my guess). Speak slowly & with confidence. By the way, 3-4 months is a Big time if you are willing to practice. Get rid of the mental block.

Let us see how we can help you. What say, CEans? πŸ˜€

-The Big K-
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    Stop worrying! Just be confident & know the basics! Keep a smilling face & be ready for the interview. They won't really care how you speak.
    That is perfect! I might be of some help if you tell me more about your interviews. Is it a technical interview?

Also, communication skill is not limited to spoken english. Your body language, your eye contact will play a big role in your success in any interview. Be yourself and do not answer to please the panel.

Do let me know if I can be of further help. I will be happy to help.

Jerry
  • aditi
    aditi
    QUOTE:

but i have heard that communication skills matters a lot.. without it everything is in vain....
  • aditi
    aditi
    QUOTE:

actually i have just completed my 2nd year in electronics n communication.. and on campus placements are going to start this year..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Probably 'communication skill' is overrated. Of course, it does help when you use correct english. From the way you write (in posts) I can say that you are good at sentence construction. So the only thing that needs to be worked on is - fluency.

You just need to practice more. Speak slowly. Take your time. Take a pause of 2-4 seconds before replying to any question. You still have lot of time at your disposal. Try mock interviews with your friends. That's the best way to learn.

Do not get scared in the interview room (I've seen this happening with lot of candidates). Do let us know about your progress. Keep us posted.

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    aditi
    QUOTE:

actually i have just completed my 2nd year in electronics n communication.. and on campus placements are going to start this year..
    Please read Jerry's post. 3 months is lot of time to practice english speaking. Since you are preparing for the campus placements, you will have to prepare for the aptitude tests too. Practice it with a friend or join english speaking course. As biggie says, you are good at writing and so there should be no problem for you to speak it as well.

All the best!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    that was a quick reply, crook πŸ˜€ !

The biggest obstacle in an interview is the mental 'block'. I don't want Aditi to face the interview with a mental block that she is not good at spoken english.

As we see, she still has lots of time to prepare. Of course, she has to prepare for the aptitude tests also. But this can be tackled & fluency can be developed. Its really annoying when people think that fluency = speaking rapidly.

There's one more way to improve. Give a 'free talk' to your computer & record it! Then listen to it. You will learn a lot from it.

but i have heard that communication skills matters a lot.. without it everything is in vain....
    That's incorrect. Japanese & Chinese aren't fluent in English (well, a lot of them) but yet they won't let it block their success. Say what πŸ˜‰ ?

-The Big K-
  • aditi
    aditi
    πŸ˜› thanks .. i would definitly follow ur advices...

i dont know much abt it.. i have just heard from my seniors...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aditi -

to quote a message you will have to wrap the quote with [/quote] tag.

Do keep us posted on your progress. Practice a lot & have fun! Let us know if you need any further help.

Best Of Luck !

-The Big K-
  • aditi
    aditi
    ok.. i will follow ur instructions...
    thanks....πŸ˜€
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    The_Big_K
    Try visiting Develop your personal wellbeing and career skills - Mind Tools - Mind Tools

For communication skills, visit this - #-Link-Snipped-#

Communication skills has different flavors, are you looking for anything in particular? Please do share with us. πŸ˜€

-The Big K-
    Interesting discussion. Practice talking to a mirror. Practice is the key.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    My advise...

No shortcuts... you have to have read and read... and most importantly read the material you feel is boring..

A rough idea survey you need to read atleast 1000 lines daily, on different topics...inorder to improve your english in 3 months....

--Crazy
  • aashima
    aashima
    Good one

crazyboy
    My advise...

No shortcuts... you have to have read and read... and most importantly read the material you feel is boring..

A rough idea survey you need to read atleast 1000 lines daily, on different topics...inorder to improve your english in 3 months....

--Crazy
    Nice idea i must say. This could be helpful aditi.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazyboy
    My advise...

--Crazy

Nice idea i must say. This could be helpful aditi.
    I doubt. Reading will help improve her language. But she needs to practice talking to gain fluency.

I'm sure she's practicing hard. Any updates, Aditi?

-The Big K-
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    A small advise ... even say funny suggestion,....

Starting talking in english with your friends.. start a fine of rs. X on any hindi sentence...And if yo will do this sincerly .. you will see the difference soon...

--Crazy (Was a crazy idea...)
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    I doubt. Reading will help improve her language. But she needs to practice talking to gain fluency.

I'm sure she's practicing hard. Any updates, Aditi?

-The Big K-

Biggi... Once you will start thinking in English there will be no problem in speaking .... must not any fluency problem....

Dearest biggi I am pretty sure, problem is she / he thinks in Hindi and than translate it in hindi... and that is the reason why she is lagging... after extensive reading and having a bit knowledge of versitle subljects one can hope that one will start thinking in English.. And i can bet.... the day when one will start thinking in English there will not be any problem in Spoken english...

pardon me, if I was offensive....My english is weak...πŸ˜€mrgreen:😁)

--crazy
  • AlameluKrishnan
    AlameluKrishnan
    Instead of just reading something or trying to talk to other in English, it will be good if you read good English NewsPaper as loud as you can. Also ensure that you have a dictionary with you to look for word meanings which you dont understand. When I say good English paper, I would recommend The Hindu or the Times of India. Other local English news papers do not have good English content and they are predominantly local news. In The Hindu, the editorial column is very high in both the language and the vocabulary. As far as good web sites are concerned, there are plenty. There are no short cuts for this and Practice makes you perfect.
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    I doubt

I doubt on the authentication of TOI as far as authentic english is concerned. The basic funda is try to be aware if you get a new word.Been aware means capture the word,find its meaning,try to retain and most importantly 'USE' it. Concentrate on the proper grammatical usage on BBC and the pronunciations.Those are regarded as authentic.Next time you hear news on BBC see how they pronounce 'above'. Communication is more than just usage of proper english you need to communicate your ideas as they are interpretated by you to the other end.In the process there should not be any distortion of the core idea (so proper english is imp).😁
    Enjoy!😁
  • aashima
    aashima
    I agree!! The Hindu is probably the best newspaper as far as the language content and vocabulary is concerned. But the best way out as suggested above as well would be conversing as much as u can in english.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Hindu is a nice newspaper...but its bit boring...You can add a better option like The Economic Times..it contains a lot of knowledge..and the option is still yours.
  • Srikanth
    Srikanth
    Try like this

Jst reading newspaper.. nah nah... i don think it wud b suffic to improvise ur communication.

Apart frmt tht. u can do things like.. giving commentary fr cricket.
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    I will be happy to help you. I'll try to be around. Let me know if you need help.
  • aditi
    aditi
    hi all..
    i have started speaking in english a little but the fluency is still not there...
    i speak well with my friends but in public..i dont know why but hesitation is still there..
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Congrats

Congratulations Aditi..

Keep Going. Try to speak and read more and more good newspapers. Also try your hand on novels.

I'll tell you, the best way to learn english is "to start thinking in english" Normally we tend to think in our native language and try to speak in english. It goofs up the situation.

So try once and let me know the result.
  • jumbotech
    jumbotech
    Hey aditi.

I am a non-native english speaker (if that is the right word πŸ˜›) and I can assure you that if you get enough exposure to the english language, either through the media, reading books and magazines and most importantly speaking to your friends you will start to feel more confortable with the language.

Because my working language is english I am now thinking english as well as speaking and writing. It will take time but as they say "Practise Makes Perfect"

For those of you wondering, my native language is Icelandic 😁

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or send an email

Cheers,

JT
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aditi
    hi all..
    i have started speaking in english a little but the fluency is still not there...
    i speak well with my friends but in public..i dont know why but hesitation is still there..
    I understand. Keep expanding your group and keep practicing. Let us see if we can have someone expert on communication skills to share knowledge with us.
    One thing - Never, Never, Never give it up!

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Aditi,
    Been there done that thing for me. During my engineering, we had this subject known as communication skills, and the teacher who taught us that subject had considered me as her worst student πŸ˜€.

Anyways, to practice, start reading (thats to build your vocabulary and understanding), once you have a good grasp of the language, talk with your friends in english, try starting to think in english in your mind. If you can do that, then you are done!

Also, the mirror helps, it helps a lot!! You get to observe yourself make mistakes as you speak, try not to repeat those mistakes again and again. I know, the mirror thing sounds idiotic and you feel like one... but it works. Believe me, it does.

Hope this helps.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    Even my reply is too late,

Hope Aditi Got placed and Now speakes Perfectly,

Most important remeber the same set of answers and speak in before your colourful Mirror ,

It will update your brain with your both -ve and +ve that you can keep and that you can avoid.

Just read fastly and clearly what you are typing here and We sms.

And Keep on using typing master ( Typing Master - Learn To Type & Test Your Skills ),

It helps both Fast Typing as well as Fast Speaking Skill.

And Refer Journals and Regular Articles on IT Acumens - A Web Designing Company ;-)

To Improve,

Hope So, You would Perfectly soon.

Regards,
    A.SK...
  • jia
    jia
    Hello,

Visit #-Link-Snipped-# , there you will find some good books, e-books and audio books related to communication skill and personality development, it might be helpful for you.

Regards,
    jia
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    To get a job we need the confidence to talk , you are IN dont worry about accent or anything.. Just you have to talk anything but with confidence .
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    aditi
    thanks for ur advice...
    I think knowing english is bonus nothing else
    Just go their if you feel uncomfortable with speaking english, then talk in your language but just be confident and make sure you express your views and emotions well.

Communicating means expressing yourself.

so be good in that, that's all you should need.

and try to speak in english when you are with your friends, even if they insult you, continue, that will only do you good.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans ! The active CEans took an initiative to start a blog : CE-Blog ! Let me restrict this post & take you directly to the blog 😁 ->...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi CEans is the following branches are suitable for girls who r going to join in engineering 1.Textile engineering 2.food processing engineering 3.Mechanical and marine engineering 4.Mining engineering
Basically, I've routed to this forum, follwing some blog entries of BIG_K. I work as a developer with Accenture & soon will be joining R&D Labs. Don't find much leisure...
Please write down the important Common Admission Test books that useful to study and prepare for the exam
I've been planning to do a little project for a while but I'm not sure about what window tool kit to use. Reckon you guys could suggest a few? Preferably...