How to handle External hard disk as its not detecting in computer

Edited Post: How do I handle the issue of my computer not recognising external hard disk?

Original Post:
Dear folks,
Could u help me to know abt this issue?
Following error is triggering while inserting external HDD:
->USB Port doesn't recognize your External Harddisk
->Using USB3.0
->No recent OS updation
->Doesn't recognize any other PC
->Corei3,WIN7 os.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd not usually reply to short questions that don't describe the situation. Could you edit your post and tell us what exactly is the setup and what led to the problem? Why not edit your post and include following information which will help us help you and not waste time in understanding the problem?

1. What's the overall computer setup: Operating System, Hardware Details etc.?
    2. Is the machine new or an old one which used to recognise the external HDD just fine before?
    3. Did you recently install any OS update, software that might have caused the issue?
    4. What's the make of your external HDD?
    5. How are you connecting it to your computer? Is the port USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
    6. Is the external HDD working fine on another computer?

...and so on. That information will help us help you better. What say?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    It could be a USB port problem. Try this link. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to see updated post. The second last line in the first post tells me that the problem lies with the external HDD. Most of the times, this could be the fault with the USB bus. If your external HDD is within the warranty, you should get it checked. I'm more inclined to think that the problem is more on the hardware front than the software front.

Did you recently format your HDD? Also, is there any error message on Windows or the computer completely fails to recognized that there's a device connected to it?
  • Harish Kotra
    Harish Kotra
    Well I had a similar problem with my 1 TB external HDD and I was like OH NOO!! Tried everything which you quoted and guess what solved my problem. USB CABLE, replaced the original cable of External HDD with my mobile's USB CABLE and tadaaa!!

Don't panic and try everything, update the software, register your HDD if not registered, re-install the drivers, if you need then restore your system else connect and see if it is working with another system. If it is working with another system then that is your current OS. Else try with the cable as I said above. 😀
  • Manivino
    Manivino
    Tks a lot dear folks...now i hv an idea to resolve my HDD prblm...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Does anyone know how do we translate Sanskrit to English? It will take much time to do manually. Is there any application that will reduce my task?
Recently, two girls were arrested by Mumbai cops owing to their comments that were said to hurt the sentiments of large number of people. The girls were later released on...
WHAT IS THE .NET 2010 FRAME WORK.PLEASE IF ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT .NET THEN PLEASE SAY TO ME
The startup culture in India might just get a boost as 'Startup-Wallah' is coming to India. The initiative is taken by Dave McClure of the 500Startups (SEC.GOV). The incubator will...
Honda has launched a new 1.6 liter i-DTEC diesel engine that is lightest in its class. Beginning 2013, the engine will make an entry into the CIVIC with 120 PS...