How to get onsite opportunities? Should I join MNC?

can any one plz suggest me how to get onsite oppurtinities?
m not working in any MNC`s Companies m working in statup company i have more than 1 year experience. so plz guide me which move i should give prefer for to get onsite job oppurtunities?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hello #-Link-Snipped-# and Welcome to CrazyEngineers

You have asked a question that many engineers want an answer to, but generally hesitate to ask. Basically, the question revolves around knowing on what basis do the managers in IT companies select employees for onsite opportunities.

Most seniors will tell you either one of these things:
    1. It is pure luck.
    2. It totally depends upon your project / manager.
    3. You have to keep shifting from one job to another or between projects in same company for getting onsite.

I won't say that all these are myths, however none of that might be the case for you. If you are working on a project that deals with a foreign client, you need to generally work for 1.5 to 2 years so as to understand the project's requirements and accordingly learn or enhance your knowledge about technologies and become a person the team relies on.

You must've heard about the term called 'building dependency'. In any IT company, the project work's efficiency depends on how each team member performs. If a certain member is irreplaceable meaning that the project's smooth operation is highly dependant on him/her working efficiently, it means that he has a high dependency within the project.

Such team members are generally not laid off by the company or asked to leave the project. Moreover, such team members are highly eligible for getting onsite.

How does one achieve that level though?

Well, you have to be *really good* at the work assigned to you. You should be highly motivated about the work and have a good rapport with all your colleagues and bosses. Your focus should be on getting more & more knowledge about the work you are doing and help the project in growing to a new standard.

If you are that good, I believe you will have really great chances of getting on site.
    The answer to 'when will I get onsite?' however, cannot be answered. Sending you onsite is not solely your manager's decision. There's higher management involved and also the client or customer's wants are also taken into consideration.

Since you are working in a startup, we don't know what domain you are working in. Some startups who deal with foreign clients, do send their employees onsite if there's such a requirement. Though it won't be unfair to say that the ratio is higher in the MNC side.

Read more on this topic here: How to get onsite or abroad opportunity from IT jobs in India?

If you have any further questions, please ask them in replies below.
  • ram_149955
    ram_149955
    start up companies some time send employees to onsite on business visa for short term but I doubt if they send you for long term.

If you are aspiring for Onsite, start applying for big MNCs and remember that it takes 3-4 years before they initiate VISA for you.

Things have changed and it is tough to get H1B visa on your own and every day the competition for H1B is increasing.
    I am not sure about U.K. and other countries. Good Luck!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As the world still remains spellbound about the exciting new applications in the world of 3D Printing, here's an awesome innovation from University of Wollongong & ACES researchers that has...
Engineers at the Stanford University in California have designed tiny robots that can move stuff about 100x their own weight. These new tiny, yet super-powered robots will be showcased at...
Headquartered in Mumbai, the company iBall has a knack of naming its smartphones with the craziest titles. With a series of phones named Genius, Stallion, Baby Panther, Enigma, Frisbee, Ripple...
The new laser technology developed by researchers from Northwestern University promises a new form of 'lab on a chip' for critical medical diagnosis. It's the first liquid nanoscale laser that...
So, you might have heard that Facebook recently introduced the facility of embedding Facebook videos in your web pages. This essentially means that Facebook content can now be shared outside...