How to compress/encrypt/convert large string into a small string?

I am developing an application which requires activation over phone. For this process, the program generates an ID (which comprises of the product key and motherboard serial number) which the user tells to our representative.

The problem which I am facing is that the ID which is generated by the program is very large (about 80 characters), and it is obviously very difficult for the user to dictate those 80 characters to our representative. 😔

Is there any method to encrypt or compress those 80 characters into a set of small string of about 40 - 45 chars ?

We're developing this software over the .net framework.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Try huffman algorithm
    it may help you
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Lossless compression is also a good option.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've found a workaround to generate a smaller ID (30 chars). I've put the product key and the serial no. as it is in the ID and jumbled the sequence of characters. No problem now!
  • themask
    themask
    gaurav.bhorkar,
    I'm looking for a similar way for my product.
    Can you please let me know how to do this, so that i can take that, my software is not copied and used illegally
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    You can use md5 to compress it into a 32 character hexadecimal string.. It's easy and readily available. Foolproof as well..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want three serial port in my system, at different baud rate for this I am using PIC18f452 with 16c654 (quad uart ic) i m having problem in initializing 16c654...
can anyone tell me how to install windows xp from the pen drive. how to make it bootable,., m currently using vista in my lapi.
Hi all, ive currently undertaken a project to design a heart rate monitor using flowcode.. i plan to transmit the data to a laptop via bluetooth.. i have no experience...
hello, i need a project of differential protection of transformer through matlab simulink .if any idea please tell me.its urjent. and i want to modified that with only one ct.
hi guys we are doing a project on SQL injecton attacks ... well we have made a small java application which identifies if a server is SQL based and if...