How to avoid virus spreading through USB

Dont get panic about viruses...jus try this to avoid viruses through USB..๐Ÿ˜Ž

1. AFTER YOU PLUG IN THE USB,DONT ALLOW IT TO AUTO PLAY.CLICK THE CANCEL BUTTON.
2.GO TO MY COMPUTER (DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK ON THE REMOVABLE DRIVE)AND CHECK THE DRIVE ASSIGNED TO THAT USB OR REMOVABLE MEDIUM.FOR INSTANCE,THE DRIVE ASSIGNED IS E(DRIVE E)

3.GO TO START->RUN->TYPE THE DRIVE NAME WITH COLEN":".IN OUR CASE E: IN THE TEXT BOX.CLICK OK.

4.YOU CAN VIEW THE CONTENTS.COPY THE NEEDED FILES.

FEEL SAFE AND ENJOY๐Ÿ˜
THIS WAY YOU CAN AVOID VIRUSES AND WORMS๐Ÿ˜›

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: how to avoid virus spreading through USB?here is the solution...jus chk it!

Sowmiya - please use proper case for your text. Also refrain from using SMS language in your posts.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Is it indeed the right way to stop a virus from spreading? I dont think so.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    mayurpathak
    Is it indeed the right way to stop a virus from spreading? I dont think so.
    Agreed..not a right way ๐Ÿ˜
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Sowmiya

1. AFTER YOU PLUG IN THE USB,DONT ALLOW IT TO AUTO PLAY.CLICK THE CANCEL BUTTON.
    2.GO TO MY COMPUTER (DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK ON THE REMOVABLE DRIVE)AND CHECK THE DRIVE ASSIGNED TO THAT USB OR REMOVABLE MEDIUM.FOR INSTANCE,THE DRIVE ASSIGNED IS E(DRIVE E)

3.GO TO START->RUN->TYPE THE DRIVE NAME WITH COLEN":".IN OUR CASE E: IN THE TEXT BOX.CLICK OK.

FEEL SAFE AND ENJOY๐Ÿ˜
    or start using linux. Thanks for the info, though.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Welcome to CE, Somiya ๐Ÿ˜€ Yeah, thats a common tactic done to avoid those annoying autorun viruses and worms. Unfortunately, some computers will automatically autoplay pendrives by default. It takes some proactive efforts to protect yourself from them.

We have some discussions on how to get rid of viruses here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Feel free to contribute your ideas there!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Nice idea raj ๐Ÿ˜
  • myau
    myau
    Sowmiya

FEEL SAFE AND ENJOY๐Ÿ˜
    is tis really safe? r u sure tos copied files won"t contain viruses? can u plz give ta description as wat happens? i"m curious๐Ÿ˜•
  • aashima
    aashima
    Even I am skeptical of this method to be the right way because canceling the autoplay can prevent the transfer of virus in rare cases.
  • Ashutosh_shukla
    Ashutosh_shukla
    I don't think it is the right way.But I would like to know the right way If the big guys could please contribute to this autorun virus discussion
  • heman4t
    heman4t
    Well, here is permanent solution:
    (You may take clue and implement in current system also)

(Lets begin from scratch....)

Preparations
    :
    0. Format hard-disk:
    C: (Active, Primary, Fat32) // For storing Important data
    D: (
    Extended, Any no. of partitions) // Any use, You may install Xp here also
    E: (Primary, NTFS) // Install Xp here
    F: (Primary, Any Format) // You can use this for Linux also

1. Install new XP (In any drive except C:)
    2. Install all drivers
    3. Install basic needs e.g. java, .net framework, flash etc.
    4. Install "AutoPatcher" ( Install "Tweak Xp" and other basic usefull utilities etc)
    // You may install SP3 now

Few Settings
    5. Go to CONTROL PANEL -> TweakUIXP : My Computer>Autoplay : "Uncheck all drives"
    6. Go to My COMPUTER -> TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS -> VIEW
    : click "Show hidden files and folder
    : uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
    : uncheck "Hide protected OS files(Recommended)"

// Do not install any antivirus (These are useless things, they just consume RAM)

7. Use hiren's boot CD -> Norton Ghost : make Ghost Image of XP installed partition (Save it in C drive).

Why these steps?
    Ans:
    Whenever Xp corrupts, Use hiren's Boot CD > Norton's Ghost : "recover partition from Ghost image".

Benefit?
    Ans:
    It will take hardly 5-10 min to have fresh installed Xp.

Note:
    > Never Keep data in XP drive.

USE
    For VIRUS in USB sticks:
    1. Insert USB stick. (Your autorun is already disabled. So its safe...see step5 in Preparation section)
    2. Open My Computer

--------
    3. click "Folders" button
    On left hand side, drive explorer will open
    4. Goto USB drive
    5. left click once in Left panel
    ---------
    OR
    3. Click address bar drop down arrow
    4. Goto USB drive.
    -----------

OR
    3. goto Start Menu > Run > "USB drive LETTER:" e.g. "F:"
    -----------

Now,

> Select Autorun.inf and some unwanted hidden files & folders (which you didnt copy in USB)
    //You can see them according to step 6 in Preparation section above.
    > Simply DELETE ๐Ÿ˜€

that's all Folks...
  • infinus
    infinus
    Start>>Run
    type gpedit.msc and ok

look for
    Group Policy window>>Administrative Templates>>System

in the right side you will see Turn off Autoplay

Double click>> set to Enabled >>change Turn off Autoplay on to All Drives.

reboot machine if possible..

i hope it helps.
  • Ashutosh_shukla
    Ashutosh_shukla
    Hi infimus,
    There is no option of System as you mentioned to find out.So can you please check it once again.
  • infinus
    infinus
    best way to avoid windows is to buy genuine windows
    and buy some tough anti-virus software with daily update via internet...
    ------------

this is one of the best way to prevent windows.....
    or
    switch to linux.....
  • Ashutosh_shukla
    Ashutosh_shukla
    Everyone knows security of Linux against viruses but i would like to know how to avoid in Windows I have both the OS installed on my machine so if i have any doubt i can use linux else go for windosws
  • gohm
    gohm
    I find the best way to avoid viruses and worms is to:

1. boil water
    2. cook food thouroughly
    3. cover your mouth/nose when you cough or sneeze

๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜€ yep, and do not forget to dip your USB drive at least thrice in boiling water.
  • Ashutosh_shukla
    Ashutosh_shukla
    Can we discuss something meaningful here please ?????????
    I guess the USB wont be alive after once it is dipped in boiling water,
    but that frees it from all pains of viruses and worms.
    ;-)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm very sorry. Couldn't help after reading gohm's response.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I've been using linux for a couple of years now, and I've never had any problems with viruses. But that does not mean that linux systems are immune to viruses. The fact of the matter is windows is more popular and hence programmers/hackers find it more attractive to write viruses for it.

Coming back to the topic, the best way to avoid viruses is to use a good antivirus and a firewall. There are many many antiviruses available out there, some of them are free and some are paid. I've found Avast one of the best among the free ones and Kaspersky, among the paid ones.

Simply installing an antivirus is not enough, some viruses are clever and can slip past antiviruses, so a firewall should also be installed. It is a must if your computer is connected to the internet. Here I've found Zone Alarm to be a good option.
  • GazzaS
    GazzaS
    Hi Guys,

I contracted two USB viruses in the space of a couple of weeks the first one I had auto run left on so it ran the virus immediately and the second time I had disabled auto-run in policies, but the virus executed when I opened the folder in Explorer! On both these occasions I had the latest Norton AV updates.

Therefore I wrote my own prevention application called VMON. It sits in the background monitoring for drives inserted and then quarantines any auto-runs found. It can also monitor system file changes (i.e. DLL injection) and quarantine the change. Finally it monitors registry and firewall changes and warns and logs all the changes (great to undo any virus changes). This has saved my skin a million times since I wrote it.

You can download it from:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I'm not advertising this, all I'm saying is that I wrote it to tackle this exact problem and it worked for me.

Linux is a great OS, but this doesn't help the millions of Windows Users ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers,

Gary
  • aswathyramesh
    aswathyramesh
    Cancelling autoplay and scanning is a good method. But there is a method to avoid autoplay option. I don't know how to do that...
    If any one know, please help me too.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    aswathyramesh
    Cancelling autoplay and scanning is a good method. But there is a method to avoid autoplay option. I don't know how to do that...
    If any one know, please help me too.
    Download TweakUI from here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

There is an option to disable autorun for all devices ๐Ÿ˜€

So, once you've permanently disabled the autorun, always scan the USB drive before opening it an any fashion (explorer, etc).
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    How it would be if we program like as and when any device is attached to the pc the virus scan should happen.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • oldboy1985
    oldboy1985
    what i tried was
    after opening the pendrive in cmd
    type attrib command it will show the attributes of all the files
    generally it is easier to guess which is virus yet
    those with attributes SHR
    are generally virus just delete them with their autorun files
    i have tried it very well and works for me
  • oldboy1985
    oldboy1985
    English-Scared
    How it would be if we program like as and when any device is attached to the pc the virus scan should happen.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    i think that is generally done by the antivirus
    yet not effective
  • worktarget
    worktarget
    Yes , it is true that some computers automatically autorun the usb drive. Here we have one trick that is press shift key before inserting the usb drive and then insert in the usb port.

By pressing shift key at the time of insertion of pen drive, it will disable the autorun feature for some time (i.e. at the time of insertion of pen drive).

โ€‹
  • scurrminator
    scurrminator
    disable autorun
  • markk
    markk
    This is not correct, viruses can still spread this way.
  • ashuashi
    ashuashi
    The new viruses are spreading too fast. Hence, there is more chance of getting infected. The best way is precaution.

1. Use a good anti virus with regular updates.
    2. Disable auto play of devices.
    3. Avoid accessing unwanted, suspicious websites.
    4. Do not open attachments especially .exe files in your mail which are from unknown source.
  • aswathyramesh
    aswathyramesh
    hi....
    An easy way to turn off autoplay :,
    Start --> Run --> gpedit.msc --> Local Computer Policy --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Turn off Autolpay....
    Just do it.....
  • kirankumartk
    kirankumartk
    Instead of discussing so much and breaking your heads, u can rather hav a "kaspersky antivirus" which removes any kind of viruses present in the usb when connected.........simple!
  • veerapps
    veerapps
    Hi ...
    To prevent virus in your system, you put antivirus for your system and USB port.Make sure that your antivirus update is not out of Date.
    Whenever your are opening any file,Dont forget to scan the file with antivirus(right click file->properties->scan with "company name" antivirus )
    If you dont have updated antivirus,then you open the file by
    start->run->type your pendrive colon name(for example,I๐Ÿ˜€->Delete the suspected virus files.exe->then open your pendrive.
    -veeraPPS
  • ahashmi06
    ahashmi06
    Panda Security has recently came up with a small portable tool that is able to รข€œvaccineรข€ your computer from virus that spreads through external USB drives. The computer vaccination prevents your computer from executing autorun.inf file and the USB drive vaccination creates a dummy autorun.inf file in your external usb drive so that virus canรข€™t infect it.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    I have been using it for a long time and it works well.

As far as antivirus is concerned, i have used a lot of antiviruses and the best is Kaspersky Antivirus (Very high detection rate and low on resources). If you also need firewall, Kaspersky Internet Security is good but it uses a little more resource.
  • ahashmi06
    ahashmi06
    parneet384
    Thanks for provide nice information but i think best way to scan your pc with #-Link-Snipped-#

There are a lot of anti-viruses available today. But only some of them are good enough to actually protect your pc.

There are many fake anti-viruses in the market today. They are called roguewares. They try to make money from the user by making them pay to remove non-existing threats. Many of them even infect your pc with viruses.

Have a look at this #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    i am using a software "autorun eater".it is a very good software and without opening the pen drive it detects the malicious code in the pen drive.it also fix the problems of registry editor ,task manager disabled,folder options..
    hope u can get it from net..if still find a problem to search then message me..
  • ONKSSSSS
    ONKSSSSS
    there are many ways to stop autoruns...
    1.> Create a folder in your PD named "autorun.inf" (Of course without " ") & keep it there always. Ithink it would help.
    2.> or just use Loading...
    password:angel

There are also some more simple ways which we will discuss in near future.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

๐Ÿ˜’ can any one suggest how would it be if i make-up my mini project on spam filters (bayseian) in java language............
Hi All, Is any one here having any idea of how to do content-encoding in struts by simply changing only struts.xml? If anyone knows how to display as...
How about creating such a section.. I am thinking of hiring a small group of final year students with experienced faculties, to take my concept to a working prototype. Any...
Now, I'm not sure how many of you know; there's another browser ready to take on the Internet. Its called LunarScape and its from Japan! ๐Ÿ˜ Some of the features...
Its happening again. Terrorists armed with AK 47 have opened gunfire at 4 places in South Mumbai. I'll update as I get more news. Firing took place at following places:...