How much personal information should you reveal on social networking sites?

I overheard a discussion about this topic between two software engineers - and I thought it would be a nice discussion topic on CE ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Do you think revealing personal information on social networking sites is okay? If yes, how much information about you should you give out without worrying? What do you say, folks?

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • KINETIC_JOULES

    @kinetic-joules-Qk9kmk • Jul 17, 2008

    I'm very eerie about what I put on the internet period. I havn't given out more than my name and age. I don't give where I live, my telephone number or anything. People just can' be trusted.

  • Ashraf HZ

    @Ash • Jul 18, 2008

    Name: human #
    Location: Earth

    where # is a number of your choice.

    That should be sufficient information. Why anyone would want to reveal more info on networking sites is beyond me.

    ๐Ÿ˜‰

  • gohm

    @gohm-F3UUpP • Jul 19, 2008

    Ditto to Ash

  • neelu.

    @neelu-OKZO1r • Aug 15, 2008

    hey i hav given my name and atmost my email_id on social networking sites

  • devesh

    @devesh-f6jAzZ • Aug 15, 2008

    just name and the email id.

  • mahul

    @mahul-ZxpiLA • Aug 15, 2008

    Well, as everything has two sides, I would say it depends on what you can handle (though I say this, I have put up my email only).

    If you are a busy executive with pots of money and lots of work, you just can't take the risk.

    If you are a lazy engineering student with lots to dream about and very little cash, who the heck cares?? And suppose you do put up your phone number, what goddamned trouble can you be put into?? And I doubt if anyone would take up the trouble to trouble a nobody like me(Unless of course you are a pretty lady, then it would be a big no-no). Frankly, I love it when some unknown lady calls me up, since it hardly happens.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 15, 2008

    techfreak!At the most I would disclose my fake name and mail id..and photographs on trusted sites..but I never give my phone no...had hell lot of bad experiences!
    I just hate when they ask for zodiac signs and stuff like that! Disclosing your interests and hobbies could be a good affair, you could get new apportunities and dimensions to them!

    I'm new to the concept of disclosing fake names [โ€‹IMG]

  • Harshad Italiya

    @harshad-ukH5ww • Sep 6, 2008

    i have no prob to give my personal detail on social site. ๐Ÿ˜€