CrazyEngineers
  • There's a business idea brewing in my head since long time 😁and I want to learn more about how the water is treated before its bottled. Some of the brands claim their product contains 300% more oxygen :shock: , what's that?

Insights, anyone?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • muthu12

MemberOct 14, 2008

A real estate developer explained the idiocy of ordering bottled water in restaurants. He said bylaws require special water filtration systems be installed so that their "tap water" is safer than any.

Of course, there's always those who want fancy sparkling or soda water, but that's another issue.
    About the only justification for bottled water is in developing countries where water supplies are decidedly unsafe or untrustworthy.😒
    -------------------
    Muthu

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Mayur Pathak

MemberOct 15, 2008

300%? Well I'm not sure about that. One of the methods of purification of water (rather one of the process in the entire method) is decarbonization. In this process, the excess carbon is removed by treating carbon with compounds which decomposes CO2 into a bicarbonate and release hydronium ions.

CO2 (g) + 2H2O(l) → HCO3- + H3O

The excess bicarbonate is used by a mineral (say calcium or sodium) and excess hydrogen is used by chlorine to ensure absolutely pure water.

Check this link for the flow chart #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorOct 15, 2008

Well, have you seen those Oxyrich ads?

Thanks for the information, Mayur.
    Cancel
  • Mayur Pathak

MemberOct 15, 2008

You mean Oxyrich? Yeah I have seen them. They probably might be aerating the water before bottling it. It dissolves spare oxygen from air into the water. In fact wherever water is flowing and exposed to fresh air, it tends to contain more oxygen. But I'm not sure how Manikchand (the owners of Oxyrich) measured the 300% 😕
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberOct 27, 2008

Here in the US there is not nearly the strict regulation of bottled water as compared to tap water. Here tap water is almost unanimously more healthy than bottled. Due to chlorine, bottled water usually tastes better however a carbon based filter system can remedy that. Tap water has a smaller carbon footpint due to the lack of plastic bottles and vehicle transportation.
    Cancel
  • raj87verma88

MemberOct 27, 2008

I think they may use Reverse Osmosis, and then add some minerals to give it a mineral water taste. I have a triple water filter installed at my home (1st step R.O., 2nd step UV rays, 3rd step minerals are added). The water coming out tastes just like bottled water, so I suppose they must be using this technique.
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberOct 29, 2008

yeah there is the whole range of treatment. Some reverse osmosis or filter. Some even just bottle tap water.
    Cancel
  • ashrafrady

MemberNov 24, 2008

Realy I have been worked in a factory o bottled water 5 years ago, and i am the cheif of water treatment unit.
    Actually the treating of water depends on the nature of raw water for example if the water contain a larg amount of iron & manganese, it should be treated firstly with Ozone to oxdize iron & mnganese to their oxides which precipetated easly, then the water is pass through a filter sand and disinfict finally with ozone.
    For more knoldge you can contactme at
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • Mayur Pathak

MemberNov 24, 2008

Many thanks for your valuable information Ashraf. It would be great if you can share your knowledge on the forum. If you privately answer queries, it probably will not help the fellow engineers.
    Cancel
  • kaveendra

MemberDec 9, 2008

hi,

water is
    forced under pressure to
    pass through a membrane,
    leaving contaminants behind.
    This process removes all
    microbes, minerals, color, turbidity,
    organic and inorganic
    chemicals.
    -------------------------------------------#-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Cancel
  • Jone25

MemberDec 15, 2008

It depends, mostly on the source of the water. Roughly speaking there would be procedures like filtering, distilling, extracting and bottling etc.
    Cancel
  • sauravgoswami

MemberDec 15, 2008

well your comments are very true,but water is also paased thriugh UV lights,it ensures all the bacterias are destroyed tats why bottled water is not tat much nutritious
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberDec 21, 2008

If I had to drink a bottle of water, I'd always try to get a natural mineral one. Though, we do drink filtered + boiled water at home.
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberDec 21, 2008

These meathods are all accurate, however there is little regulation that ensures any of these steps actually happen. That's why studies in the US have proven usually filtered tap water is much healthier (and cheaper with a smaller carbon footprint) than bottled water.
    Cancel
  • julie1

MemberJan 22, 2009

I have no idea but my brother is a chemical engineer working for a water management company and i will ask him and let u guys know about that.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register