How Flipkart Scales PHP - By Flipkart Search Lead, Siddhartha Reddy

Siddhartha Reddy leads the technology search team at Flipkart, India's biggest online destination for shopping. Flipkart generates thousands of sales every day which means the engineering team that keeps the show going have a tough task to do. Even a minute of downtime would mean serious loss of business and the responsibility is quite high on the engineering team. I just searched online to find out how engineering teams at Flipkart manage a highly scalable environment at Flipkart and what technology stack they employ. Found out an interesting presentation on Slideshare :- How Flipkart scales PHP

Interesting, isn't it? Has anyone worked on a project of massive size?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Quite a good share. Is there a video of his talk somewhere?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I go throuth some 50 pages... They are basically talking about load balancing and how it is impletemented in Flipkart.
  • Siddhartha Reddy
    Siddhartha Reddy
    The_Big_K, thanks for your interest. Almost every system at Flipkart becomes more challenging and interesting due to the scale.

Just one clarification: I do not lead the technology team at Flipkart — I am the Tech Lead for one of the teams (the Search Team to be specific). Can you please edit your post to reflect this?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Good to see you on CE. I've updated the article. Flipkart is awesome and I congratulate your team for it. I remember a talk by someone at Facebook that they had to re-write PHP core to make sure Facebook keeps scaling. Anticipating the traffic growth, do you plan on doing something similar?

I'd also like to know your thoughts on scaling for smaller websites; that is, would you recommend opting for two 8 GB servers serving files & database OR just one big 16 GB server handling both?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intel recently shared a video about what happens on the internet in a minute. The video shows different statistics. Take a look -
As you might have probably read in the news today. Soyuz spacecraft has been launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Tuesday. The spacecraft is carrying two Russians and...
Anyone has an idea about Intel's recruitment process for engineering graduates? Applications for UK placements are usually open at the start of the academic calendar year (September) and they begin...
What kind of questions (technical & HR) are asked at job application interview at Intel? Anyone has any idea? Share any information you might have here.
In the new Firefox Beta for Android release you will find - 1. Faster start-up and page load times 2. Redesigned user interface. 3. Re-designed start page with Top Sites...